If you want to gain a University-level qualification alongside your job without committing to a full Bachelor's degree, this Professional Studies Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) distance learning course is ideal. You'll develop transferable skills in your choice of subject, boosting your career prospects while you improve your performance at work. You can tailor the course to match your professional and personal aspirations and your employer's objectives. You'll get to put the skills you learn to work instantly in your job, contributing to the success of your company. The course is work based, so you'll need to be in a full-time, part-time or voluntary role to do it. You can study online wherever is most convenient for you and schedule your studies around your existing commitments. A CertHE is equivalent to the first year of a full-time BA or BSc Bachelor’s degree. When you complete the course, you'll improve your career prospects and have the skills and knowledge to perform more effectively in your job. You could also put the credits you gain towards a BA or BSc Bachelor's degree. What you'll experience On this course you'll:
- Choose either technical skills or business skills pathway
- Study modules 120 credits over 2 years (60 credits a year)
- Study flexible modules and topics that match your personal and professional goals, as well as your employer's objectives
- Develop your ability to analyse problems, research and propose solutions, and make important decisions
- Improve your communication and research skills
- Complete a work-based learning (WBL) project that forms part of your daily workload, which ensure that the knowledge you develop is relevant to your employer's business
- Get an optional 1-day induction in Portsmouth or an online induction
- Develop your learning plan with the University and your employer, so you can make an effective contribution to your workplace as you learn
- Have full access to our student support services and community including study support, sports and recreation facilities, and the Students' Union
- Tap in to our Library's electronic resources, which you can access from anywhere with a Web connection
- Choose a workplace mentor to support your learning – someone at work who can offer advice, guidance, and moral support
- Have support from an academic tutor specialising in your area of study and a University learning manager who oversees your programme
- Use online tutorials and lectures to help you with study skills, including your analytical and writing skills
- Effective Communication – 20 credits
- Foundations of Business – 20 credits
- Learning Management and Study Skills – 20 credits
- Technical Foundation or Business Foundation – 20 credits
- Work based project Level 4 – 40 credits
The way you're assessed will depend on which modules you take and the work-based learning projects you do.
How to apply
To apply for this course you will be taken to the provider's website, where you can find out more information and make an application.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
A typical applicant would usually have post-school higher education such as an HNC, or equivalent, or part of a degree course, together with appropriate work experience. Please contact Learning at Work to discuss this course and entry requirements in more detail.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
|English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
|An overall score of 54 with a minimum of 51 in each skill.
|79 with a minimum of 18 in Reading, 17 in Listening, 20 in Speaking and 17 in Writing.
|Cambridge English Advanced
|Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) taken after January 2015. An overall score of 169 with no component score less than 162.
|Cambridge English Proficiency
|Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) taken after January 2015. An overall score of 169 with no component score less than 162.
|Trinity College Integrated Skills in English (ISE) Level III with a Pass in all 4 components
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course