Right from the start, our product design engineering degree is all about developing your creativity and problem-solving skills. Even the introduction is a team-based design-and-build challenge – reflecting the kind of project-based, hands-on approach to learning you’ll experience throughout your time with us. It’s a degree that provides the specialist knowledge and expertise required for a career in commercial product design, introducing you to industry-relevant methodologies, materials and production methods. You’ll also look at the influence on the design of history, culture, markets, materials and lifestyles. And in our specialist laboratories, you’ll get to grips with some of the latest technologies, such as 3D printing and rapid prototyping. More generally, you’ll learn to look at the world around you through the eyes of a designer, as you establish the fundamentals of design and technology, together with the relationship that products have with their users and their environment. Study product design engineering with us and in your final year you’ll be ready to put these skills into practice in a new product design challenge and an individual project. You’ll then have the chance to showcase your work in front of industry representatives at the department’s degree show as you look to kick-start your career in this challenging and rewarding field. FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- You will be taught by staff drawn from both academia and industry, providing you with an understanding of the latest design thinking alongside an appreciation of the commercial environment.
- Tackle real challenges from the world of engineering. Every year, the Department of Engineering invites businesses and academic colleagues to set new, live projects that challenge our students to devise innovative solutions to current problems. You’ll get feedback and advice directly from industry insiders and have the chance to find out exactly what it takes to impress a potential future employer.
- Gain valuable industry experience by taking the four-year placement route and spend your third year on industrial placement. This may be subject to national lockdown restrictions.
- Have access to the latest digital fabrication technologies at our 3D printing centre, PrintCity.
- Showcase your design and engineering skills in extra-curricular group projects like the Formula Student racing car competition or the Engineering For People Design Challenge.
- Create a professional design portfolio celebrating your work which will assist you in your next steps to becoming a professional product designer.
- We'll support you to develop a five-year career plan, to help you to achieve your ambitions.
- Adapt your schedule to meet your needs through our drop-in workshops and laboratories.
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2022.
If you already have a 2022 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English Language or Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills English and GCSE grade C/4 or above in Mathematics or Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills Mathematics The level 2 requirements may also be met through the level 3 course requirements for the course; please contact the University directly if you require further information.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course