Aberystwyth University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
BSc Economics with Foundation Year, at Aberystwyth University, explores the economic issues that impact on everyday life including the creation of employment, inflationary pressures, international trade issues, the process of business competition, innovation and growth, the development of third world countries, the protection of natural resources and government policy-making. With a wide range of modules to choose from you can develop and hone your interests. Research-led teaching and excellent facilities ensure you have the relevant knowledge and transferable skills to progress into your chosen career. The integrated foundation year - designed for prospective students who do not have a sufficient or relevant academic background - is the perfect option to access this highly-sort scheme. In the foundation year, you will be brought up to speed on the fundamentals of Economics, providing a solid base for you to go on and enjoy the full undergraduate degree. Why study Economics at Aberystwyth?
- Following the foundation year, the syllabus of this course is identical to its sister course [Economics, L100];
- Become a student in an established department for research and practice and be taught by expert lecturers who will help you develop your knowledge on economic principles, and become confident with the technical and quantitative aspects of Economics as a study;
- Enhance your career opportunities through our partnerships with business, industry and commerce;
- Be enriched by our visiting speakers who bring their professional experience to the classroom;
- We have arrangements with many partner universities overseas to deliver short academic programmes (2 weeks) to small groups of management and business students (on a self-funding basis), to enable you to experience the impact of the cultural environment when conducting business abroad. We currently have partner universities in India, China, Russia, Japan, the United Arab Emirates and Brazil and our portfolio of countries is rapidly expanding.
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site (Aberystwyth)|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course, which includes a foundation year, is specifically designed to provide an alternative route into higher education to study one of our degrees in a relevant subject area. You may be eligible for this course if you are qualified to enter higher education but do not have the relevant formal qualifications at A level (or equivalent), if you come from a non-traditional academic background, or if you have not yet achieved your full academic potential. Your background education, experience and motivation for the subject will all be taken into account when we consider your application for this course.
English language requirements
|Cambridge English Advanced||B|
|Cambridge English Proficiency||C|
|IELTS (Academic)||6||With minimum 5.5 in each component.|
|PTE Academic||62||With minimum scores of 51 in each component.|
|TOEFL (iBT)||88||With minimum scores in components as follows: Listening 21; Writing 21; Reading 22; Speaking 23.|
If you are an international student needing more information about the English Language requirement for your course (e.g. country-specific English Language tests, Partner Institution tests, EU/EEA English Language qualifications where the school curriculum is taught in a native language) please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for further advice.
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9000||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9000||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Aberystwyth University offers a valuable package of scholarships and bursaries to support students. Our long-established Entrance Scholarship competition means you could get up to £2,000 a year towards your living and study costs. You can combine an Entrance Scholarship with any or all of our other awards, to make your financial package more valuable. Our awards include the Academic Excellence Studentship, Means-Tested Aberystwyth Bursary, Sport and Music Scholarships, Bursaries for Care Leavers/Young Carers and a range of department specific awards. Please visit our website for full details.
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Aberystwyth Business School (undergraduate enquiries)
+44 (0)1970 622500
Undergraduate Admissions Office (undergraduate enquiries)