Human biology is crucial to developments in areas such as medicine, sports science, nutrition and mental health – this course equips you with the knowledge and skills to pursue a career at the forefront of those developments. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: Our Biological Science subject area is ranked 5th in the UK for student experience and 6th in the UK for teaching quality (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021). Our Biological Sciences subject area was also ranked 9th for student satisfaction in The Complete University Guide 2022.
- ACCREDITATION: This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, reflecting its high quality.
- IN-DEPTH KNOWLEDGE: Our course has been designed to provide you with a clear understanding of the human body, drawing upon fundamental principles of bioscience such as anatomy, genetics and physiology. Your studies will address some of the most pressing health concerns facing society today, such as dementia, cancer and obesity. We examine how these affect the body and how diseases can impact an individual’s mental as well as physical wellbeing.
- TAILORED TO YOU: There are plenty of opportunities to tailor your studies to match your personal interests and career aspirations through our wide selection of optional modules.
- RAISE YOUR PROFILE IN INDUSTRY: Between your second and third years, you can apply to work in industry or undertake an internship. Previously, our students have secured roles at the Leukaemia Research Foundation in London, Royal Derby Hospital and local pharmacies. Experiences such as these will enhance your CV.
- RESEARCH EXPERIENCE: Our human biology teaching team are active human health researchers - you could apply to help with their research to deepen your understanding of the subject and your career direction.
- REAL WORLD EXPERIENCES: We’re committed to your professional and career development. Your studies will be enriched by opportunities to visit working laboratories and health care settings which will give you important insights into careers in the health science sector.
- You will study modules ranging from chemistry and molecular biology to anatomy, physiology and genetics. In your final year, you’ll undertake an in-depth research project into a human health theme which matches your interests and career aspirations.
- No single assessment style suits everyone, so we take a diverse approach across the different modules. You’re assessed using a range of written assignments (including data analysis, portfolios, and practical reports), computer-based assessments, poster and seminar presentations.
- Our degree equips you with highly relevant and up-to-date skills that are important for careers in the NHS, health charities, medical research and biomedical industries. It also builds your transferable skills which will be invaluable if you decide to pursue other scientific or analytical roles in areas such as scientific sales, medicine, dentistry and scientific writing.
- This course is also available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test (SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Derby