Accredited by the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences and closely aligned to professional standards, this forensic science degree is ideal for those who want to study a blend of science, law and investigation. Our course is unique in its coverage of the criminal and commercial applications of forensic science, opening up a wider range of employment opportunities and giving you the knowledge and skills needed to become a forensic scientist. Course Overview On this forensic science degree you will study a unique approach to forensic science, encompassing not only the criminal aspects of the profession, but also the wider remit of science and justice in both the public and private sectors. Designed by industry professionals, our forensic science course will allow you to develop the skills and knowledge highly valued amongst employers, including the ability to confidently investigate crimes, conduct independent laboratory analysis, process and analyse evidence and prepare statements for court proceedings. This learning will help prepare you to become a forensic scientist following graduation. Throughout this forensic science degree, you won't just learn the theory. You'll be doing it in hands-on sessions, including investigating complex crime scenes at our mock crime flat, through working alongside serving professionals at our award-winning major incident event, and applying practical laboratory skills to solving both criminal and commercial investigations in our state-of-the-art laboratories. On this course you will...
- Study on a forensic science degree ranked in the top 10 nationally for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2021).
- Be supported to engage in real-world research and may end up presenting at national conferences.
- Benefit from our approach to inter-professional and problem-based learning which is recognised for teaching excellence (Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence 2017 Finalist).
- Discover how we take an interest in everyone as an individual and students consistently tell us how much they appreciate their individual time with dedicated tutors.
- Study forensic science on a course covering a blend of science, law and investigation, which is unique in its coverage of the criminal and commercial applications of forensic science.
- Essential University Skills 1
- Essential Biology
- Scientific Investigation
- Essential University Skills 2
- Essential Chemistry
- Environmental Sciences
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Chemistry for Forensic Scientists
- Biology For Forensic Scientists
- Forensic Evidence
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Laboratory Skills for Forensic Scientists
- Forensic Chemistry
- Forensic Genetics
- Science and Justice
- Forensic Taphonomy
- Commercial Applications of Forensic Science
- Exploring Research
- Miscarriages of Justice
- Death Investigation
- Criminal and Commercial Investigation
- Advanced Genetics
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Carlisle - Fusehill Street
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
GCSE English, Maths and Science at grade C/4 or equivalent. If you are over 21 and returning to study after being in relevant employment for a minimum of 3 years and do not meet the published entry requirements for Year 1 of our degree courses, please do not assume you are not qualified to join us. Our experienced Admissions and Academic staff will review your prior qualifications and professional experience to support your application. The Integrated Foundation Year programmes support your return to education and are specifically designed for students who have the ability to study for a degree but may not have all the necessary qualifications, skills or experience to join the degree in Year 1. Contact our Course Enquiries Team for more information.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Cumbria
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
University of Cumbria
0845 606 1144