Birkbeck, University of London has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Our new Foundation Year programmes provide the best possible preparation for degree-level study at Birkbeck. They are ideal if you do not meet the entry requirements for the undergraduate degree you would like to study, if you feel you are not quite ready for an undergraduate degree, or if you are returning to study and need extra help and support. Whatever your background and circumstances, Birkbeck's Foundation Year degrees will prepare you for success. Upon successful completion of the one-year Foundation Year, in which you will develop your core knowledge and skills in law, you will automatically progress on to our three-year, full-time, evening study LLB Law. Birkbeck’s Law LLB teaches you the foundational areas of law required by the legal profession and provides you with the key skills and knowledge to move towards successfully qualifying as a lawyer. You will gain highly transferable legal skills that are also valuable in other professions beyond a legal career. You will develop a sound knowledge and understanding of law across a range of foundational and specialist subjects. You will also learn to identify the political, economic, commercial, social and cultural factors that inform how we understand the law and the problems, tensions and contradictions within certain legal theories and doctrines. Upon graduating, you will be ready to prepare for the Solicitors’ Qualifying Exam (SQE), apply for a place on the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) or pursue a range of other careers. Our Law LLB allows you to specialise in your studies by choosing to follow one of three pathways and graduate with an LLB (Hons) in Law and Legal Practice, LLB (Hons) in Law and Human Rights, or LLB (Hons) in Law and Commercial Law. These popular and dynamic areas of law, taught by scholars and expert practitioners, span a range of legal careers. HIGHLIGHTS
- Our School of Law is a leading international centre for world-class legal teaching, research and scholarship and is the most rapidly expanding law school within the University of London.
- We are among the top 10 law schools in the UK and in the top three in London in the Times Higher Education 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) rankings, while our research environment was judged conducive to producing research of the highest quality.
- Dedicated academic skills workshops are run at Birkbeck by our Senior Learning Development Tutor, who can advise on essay-writing, time management, efficient reading and note-making, giving presentations and participating in seminars.
- We encourage our students to participate in the wide range of extracurricular activities we offer, including lectures by internationally renowned guest speakers, our Student Law Society, our annual retreat to Cumberland Lodge in Windsor, which allows you to explore contemporary issues in law with specialist speakers, and our successful mooting and mock trial programme, where advocacy training is given by experienced practising barristers.
- Students may also apply to take part in the mentoring programme and an externship with the Hammersmith and Fulham Law Centre. During each year, we offer a range of career-related talks.
- The LLB is accredited by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and students awarded the degree will be entitled to receive a Certificate of Completion of the Academic Stage of Legal Education for solicitors. It is also recognised by the Bar Standards Board as a qualifying law degree for the purposes of completing the Academic Stage of Training for the Bar.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Assessment methods include essays, problem questions, seen/unseen examinations, open/closed book examinations, group projects, dissertations and oral presentations.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Bar Standards Board
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, the requirement for this programme is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don’t meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
|UCAS Tariff||48 points||The UCAS tariff score is applicable to you if you have recently studied a qualification that has a UCAS tariff equivalence. UCAS provides a tariff calculator for you to work out what your qualification is worth within the UCAS tariff.|
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. ALTERNATIVE ENTRY ROUTES Access to Higher Education Diploma with a minimum of 15 credits achieved at Merit or Distinction in law, humanities or social science units. Successful completion of the Certificate of Higher Education in Legal Studies with a minimum mark of 50% guarantees entry to the LLB with optional credit for a first-year module.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|