Birkbeck, University of London has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Our Foundation Year programmes provide the best possible preparation for degree-level study at Birkbeck. They are ideal if you do not meet the entry requirements for the undergraduate degree you would like to study, if you feel you are not quite ready for an undergraduate degree, or if you are returning to study and need extra help and support. Whatever your background and circumstances, Birkbeck's Foundation Year degrees will prepare you for success. Upon successful completion of the one-year Foundation Year, in which you will develop your core knowledge and skills in law, you will automatically progress on to our three-year, full-time evening study LLB Law. Birkbeck’s Law LLB teaches you the foundational areas of law required by the legal profession and provides you with the key skills and knowledge to move towards successfully qualifying as a lawyer. You will gain highly transferable legal skills that are also valuable in other professions beyond a legal career. You will develop a sound knowledge and understanding of law across a range of foundational and specialist subjects. You will also learn to identify the political, economic, commercial, social and cultural factors that inform how we understand the law and the problems, tensions and contradictions within certain legal theories and doctrines. Upon graduating, you will be ready to prepare for the Solicitors’ Qualifying Exam (SQE), apply for a place on the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) or pursue a range of other careers. Our Law LLB allows you to specialise in your studies by choosing to follow one of three pathways and graduate with:
- LLB (Hons) in Law and Commercial Law
- LLB (Hons) in Law and Human Rights
- LLB (Hons) in Law and Legal Practice
- Our Department of Law is a leading international centre for world-class legal teaching, research and scholarship. You will be taught by field-leading academic staff, alongside experienced solicitors, barristers and judges from across the legal sector.
- Career development and skills enhancement are a key part of studying this course. You will have access to a huge range of careers support including Birkbeck's Careers Service, Birkbeck Talent and Birkbeck Futures.
- You will have opportunities to network with real-world legal professionals through our Mentoring Pathways Scheme, Legal Practice Conversations, Legal Professionals Insight Evening, Careers Fair, and open days are held exclusively for Birkbeck students.
- You will be able to put your teaching into practice with the University of London Refugee Law Clinic. You can join our Law Society, highly successful Mooting team, or the Birkbeck Law Review.
- We are among the top law schools in the UK and in the top three in London in the most recent Times Higher Education Research Excellence Framework (REF) rankings for research intensity.
- The LLB is accredited by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and students awarded the degree will be entitled to receive a Certificate of Completion of the Academic Stage of Legal Education for solicitors. It is also recognised by the Bar Standards Board as a qualifying law degree for the purposes of completing the Academic Stage of Training for the Bar. The degree is accredited as LLB Law.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Assessment methods include essays, problem questions, seen/unseen examinations, open/closed book examinations, group projects, dissertations and oral presentations.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Bar Standards Board
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, the requirement for this programme is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don’t meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. ALTERNATIVE ENTRY ROUTES Successful completion of the Certificate of Higher Education in Legal Studies with a minimum mark of 50% guarantees entry to the LLB with optional credit for a first-year module.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|