Understanding the law can take you places. Understanding another language can take you all over the world. In this degree, you’ll divide your time between studying law and your chosen language, making you a top candidate for multinational firms. Choose whether to continue improving a language with which you are familiar, or develop yet another. At Leicester you will combine the research expertise of Leicester Law School with our excellence in teaching Modern Languages (ranked 9th in the UK by The Guardian University Guide 2021). You will also benefit from the opportunity to study abroad for a year, in a country related to your courses. It has never been more useful to understand more than one language. As many leading law firms have branches in several countries, your language skills and the experience of having lived abroad will give you a competitive edge when beginning your legal career. Leicester’s Modern Languages staff were awarded Teaching Team of the Year by the University of Leicester Discovering Excellence Awards 2019, and consistently rank high for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. Our Law with a Modern Language LLB will divide your learning between law and your chosen modern language. Law modules will cover the fundamentals of the English legal system while your languages education will advance your spoken, written and cultural understanding. This is a joint honours course, in which Law modules make up 75% of the content that you study in Leicester, with Modern Languages modules accounting for the other 25%. During your year abroad, you can increase your studies of another culture, history and language even further and before you go you can experience unique summer school opportunities. You can choose French, Italian or Spanish - all of which can be taken at either beginner or advanced level. Your language studies will be supported by the excellent facilities for modern language students, including state-of-the-art language labs, a dedicated Modern Languages Study Centre, a film theatre, TV and internet resources.
For more information on this course and a full list of modules, visit the course information page on our website
For more information on the methods of assessment on this course, visit the course information page on our website
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE English Language required at grade C/4 or above. When considering your application, we will look for evidence that you will be able to fulfil the objectives of the programme of study and achieve the standards required. We will take into account a range of factors including previous examination results.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|