Designed by writers for writers, this course will enable you to develop your portfolio of writing. You’ll be supported by award-winning poets, screen writers and novelists. Whether you want to write poetry, short stories, novels, scripts, fiction or non-fiction, you’ll learn techniques to develop an idea into a final draft. Our guidance will ensure that you write to the best of your ability and find the right audience for your work. As part of this course, you’ll: • Develop your imagination • Create your own portfolio of writing • Learn the techniques to edit and refine your work • Identify markets for your writing and produce submission ready pieces • Perform and/or present your own writing • Collaborate with other writers • Deliver writing workshops • Understand how you can use your skills to build a successful career Find out more Become an expert storyteller All over the world, people are telling each other stories in books, marketing, advertising, film, TV, publishing, journalism and other forms of broadcast and social media. This course will help you find the stories you want to tell, and the medium in which you want to tell them. Develop your portfolio You’ll have plenty of time to develop your portfolio of script, poetry, prose, or a combination of all three. As a student on this course, you’ll be part of a safe, inclusive community for writers to create, experiment, and share their work. A third of this course comprises the Professional Portfolio strand, which will give you the opportunity to develop your professional skills through a series of industry-aware challenges. An example of this might be to create your own blog, or pitch your work to a panel of professional writers. Study in a creative city Leeds is home to a vibrant writing community with Leeds Playhouse, one of the largest producing theatres in the North. The Holbeck and Channel 4 both have national headquarters here. You’ll study at Broadcasting Place, in the heart of the city’s programme of cultural and literary events, including Leeds Lit Fest and Leeds International Film Festival. Why study creative writing at Leeds Beckett University...
- Learn from experts - teaching delivered by award-winning, published writers
- Career-focused - you'll develop employability skills throughout your course. Your professional portfolio modules will be embedded across each year of your degree and will enable you to develop industry-aware writing skills
- Set your own writing goals – support to develop the projects you want to work on.
- Collaborative learning – receive feedback from a community of writers
- Study in a creative city - situated in the heart of Leeds city centre, with opportunities to collaborate with its thriving cultural scene
Year 1 Core Modules:
- Writers’ Workshop 1
- Contemporary Literary Studies
- Creative Professional Portfolio - Writing Reflections
- Writers’ Workshop 2
- Creative Professional Portfolio – The Art of Presentation
- Writing Fictions
- Creative Professional Portfolio – Pitching & Submitting
- Writing Poetry
- Theory into Practice
- Creative Professional Portfolio – Writing Industry
- Life Writing
- Creative Writing Project (delivered across semesters 1 and 2)
- Creative Professional Portfolio – Your Creative Future
- Experimental Writing
- Creative Professional Portfolio – The Writer & Audience
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|