Want to become a Civil Engineer? Study our Civil Engineering BEng (Hons) degree course at Birmingham City University. This course is designed to meet the requirements of relevant professional bodies to give your career in civil engineering a head start. Much of your learning activity will be hands-on, with access to our strong industry links. You’ll also be provided with the latest CAD software, meaning you’ll be well equipped to make an impact in an important industry. You will study in a unique simulated workplace environment. This experience, and our outstanding industry links, will give you a competitive edge, enabling you to progress to a successful career when you graduate. What's covered in the course? You’ll be provided with knowledge of the scientific, technical, environmental, economic, and managerial aspects of civil engineering, so that you will be able to apply yourself to both the design and management of civil engineering projects. You will also develop the key transferable skills that modern employers require, such as problem solving, project planning, presentation and communication. Our strong links to industry enable you to apply your learning to problem-based scenarios, ensuring your intellectual and practical competencies are fully developed. Civil Engineers design and construct anything from buildings and bridges, to dams, power stations, and motorways. This course will prepare you to work on these projects. You will focus on structures, materials, geotechnics, and hydraulics, and your studies will be enhanced with site visits, field trips, and guest lectures. Why Choose Us?
- Professional placement option – Gain employability skills with the option of professional placement.
- Employable graduates - Our graduates work for companies such as Balfour Beatty and Cancer Care, in management roles such as Construction Manager and Design Engineer.
- Study in the heart of the UK's second city - Some of the UK’s most exciting infrastructure projects such as HS2, are taking place right on our doorstep.
- A well-established provider - The faculty has a reputation as the West Midlands' chief hub of knowledge, technology and skills-transfer into industry. The course is supported by dedicated teaching staff and expert industry speakers.
- State-of-the-art course facilities - You will be based at our Millennium Point campus in City Centre, where our facilities have undergone a £6.5 million investment to provide you with the best learning experience.
- Travel Scholarships - Opportunities to secure funding to gain experience overseas. Read about travel scholarships here.
- We are an Autodesk Training Centre (ATC) -This national and international recognition will give you access to on-campus training by certified Autodesk instructors, providing you with digital skills that will be highly sought after by employers. Autodesk applications play an important part in supporting the digital transformation of Architecture, Engineering and Construction.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Millennium Point Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no less than 5.5 in any level|
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|