English and journalism have long been a strong partnership. Today, with the multimedia element, our Joint Honours Degree puts a modern spin on this most enduring of relationships. This exciting course offers the chance to bring the former together with an up-to-the-minute, multimedia version of the latter, reflecting the demands of the modern media environment. Today’s journalists are expected to operate across broadcast, print and online networks. With a broad range of units, we’ll give you all the skills you need to compete in this fast-moving world. You’ll learn from accomplished reporters and editors, drawing on extensive newsroom experience to give you industry-relevant understanding and insights. You’ll also build a set of complementary skills through our range of English units, including critical and cultural theories, and textual analysis. Then when you get to your final year, you’ll have the chance to put those skills into practice – by tackling a substantial piece of project work, whether a portfolio of journalism or an extended piece of critical writing. Along the way, you may have opportunities to study abroad and, if you wish, to do your third year as a placement - in Britain or abroad.* You will be based in a lively department that is staffed by internationally renowned writers and critics, and there's a strong research culture, creating a learning environment that is both supportive and intellectually challenging. Manchester has one of the biggest digital and creative sectors in the UK. With MediaCityUK, home to the BBC and ITV, it’s an ideal place for an ambitious journalist to build a network, gain experience and boost your career prospects. This course is also available with a foundation year. *Placement and/or study abroad options may be available, potentially extending the duration of study up to 4 years. Study abroad will be subject to any international travel restrictions and/or availability. Features and Benefits
- Multimedia journalism units led by accomplished journalists, including current and former reporters and editors; and English units by award-winning poets and writers, including winners of the Costa First Novel Award and the Ted Hughes Award.
- You'll have access to a state-of-the-art professional television studio, alongside brand new radio studios and edit suites.
- You’ll be encouraged to find your own creative identity and express yourself through a variety of digital content, media and genres.
- You’ll have access to the many conferences, readings, research programmes, festivals and competitions run by the department.
- You’ll be encouraged to build your own network among our many partners within the creative and culturally rich city of Manchester, a UNESCO City of Literature.
- You can take the four-year route, spending a year studying abroad, or boost your career prospects with a placement in industry.
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or equivalent, e.g. Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills English and GCSE grade C/4 in Mathematics or equivalent, e.g. Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills Mathematics
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course