Including a foundation year as part of your four-year study programme will give you a head start in your academic and professional life. The foundation year offers the chance to strengthen your skills, knowledge and confidence before you advance to stage one of your honours degree. It could also be beneficial if you are planning a career change. This highly-regarded computer games programming degree gives you the theoretical grounding and the practical skills you'll need to develop computer games – either for entertainment or for serious applications. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE
- RANKINGS: Our Animation and Game Design subject area is ranked Top 20 in the UK, plus it's in the Top 10 for student satisfaction with the course and with teaching (The Guardian University Guide 2023).
- REQUIRED SKILLS: If you’re serious about making it in the computer games industry, you’ll need a sound understanding of computer science as well as practical games development skills – this degree gives you both.
- OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES: You will take part in team projects and have the chance to develop a large-scale practical project in your final year which will be exhibited at our annual Games Expo.
- PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITIES: If you choose to take the optional year in industry, your chances of success will be even greater. Past students have worked for companies like Kuju, Frontier Developments and Sumo Digital.
- NO EXAMS!: We’ll assess you with other methods throughout your degree.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Derby