Overview When you choose to work in Health and Social Care, you face a wide range of opportunities. At Worcester, we help you explore your options and discover evidence-based and contemporary issues pertinent to many aspects of the health and social care sector. Our Foundation Degree is all about experiencing a variety of roles and supports students in developing skills including reflective practice, self-awareness and interpersonal skills essential for a career in health and social care. The Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care is a full time, two year course designed to support students wishing to work within the health and social care sector as well as those currently practicing within the field who may be looking for career development and promotion into management positions. Students will be equipped to work within a range of different settings such as schools, community centres, care settings and hospitals. The University of Worcester has excellent links to a variety of community organisations, to support students to identify and undertake a placement, as part of work-based learning. You can complete the one year, level 4 CertHE programme or stay with us for two years to complete the level 5 foundation degree. If you wish to progress after the two-year foundation degree onto the one-year top-up degree in Applied Health and Social Care you can complete further study at Worcester such as Masters degree in Nutritional Therapy, Physician Associates and PhD study. Key features
- You will be working with a team of academics, clinicians and work-based learning tutors who hold a range of expertise and experience relevant to health and social care.
- You will identify a suitable placement to complete two practice placement modules to apply your skills and knowledge in an area of practice that interests you. As part of this you will complete a minimum of 150 hours a year in placement to enhance your employability.
- You will examine the theoretical concept of reflective practice and apply system-based knowledge of anatomy and physiology to practice.
- You will develop and enhance your self-awareness and interpersonal skills alongside gaining an insight into the importance of evidence-based practice within health and social care.
- Progression routes exist on to the BA Applied Health & Social Care or Child and Adolescent Mental Health top-up degree programmes. Students can also apply to the BA Top-up degree Working with Children and Families. In addition, students can apply to progress onto professional courses, such as nursing (adult or mental health), Midwifery, Paramedic Science, Occupational Therapy, Social Work, Psychology.
- Flexible locations: study at the University of Worcester, In addition, students can apply to Herefordshire and Ludlow College, North Shropshire College or Halesowen College
For a breakdown of the modules you'll study each year visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'
For detailed information about assessment, feedback, teaching and contact time visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Halesowen College
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
The University of Worcester accepts all qualifications within the Tariff, and normally looks for the equivalent of 3 A levels. More information can be found at http://www.worcester.ac.uk/journey/entry-requirements.html
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.