Birkbeck, University of London has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
This BSc Psychology with Accelerated Foundation Year will equip you with knowledge and a critical appreciation of psychological theory and research. You will be supported in the attainment of high levels of numeracy, literacy and problem-solving and the ability to make reasoned arguments. You will develop the subject-specific skills you need for a career in psychology and postgraduate training, as well as a range of highly transferable skills that are relevant to a number of careers outside of psychology. This programme will build your confidence and give you the core knowledge and key skills you need to succeed at university. You will also get a taste of the subject area you are interested in and deepen your understanding of its career potential. Upon successful completion of the Accelerated Foundation Year, you will automatically progress onto our three-year, full-time evening study BSc Psychology. You need only complete one application and you enrol onto one programme. If you achieve grades of 50%+ in all modules on the Foundation Year, you may progress to Year 2 rather than Year 1 of the full-time programme, at the discretion of the Sub-Board of Examiners. This makes it possible for you to complete a BSc or BA in three rather than four years, subject to your performance on the Accelerated Foundation Year. HIGHLIGHTS
- Our Foundation Year programmes will fully prepare you for undergraduate study and are ideal if you returning to study after a gap, or if you have not previously studied the relevant subjects, or if you didn't achieve the grades you need for a place on your chosen undergraduate degree.
- The Department of Psychological Sciences is strongly oriented towards research and contains the Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development, the Institute for the Study of Children, Families and Social Issues, the Birkbeck-UCL Centre for Neuroimaging and the Centre for Cognition, Computation and Modelling. The Department is also a member of the Bloomsbury Centre for Genetic Epidemiology and Statistics.
- Psychological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked fifth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) and we achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to research of world-leading quality.
- Psychology at Birkbeck is ranked third best in London, ninth in the UK and 85th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning environment, where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available, as well as the Birkbeck Library and e-Library.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Assessment methods include coursework and formative exercises, including examinations, in-class work, essays and assignments.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don’t meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Department before applying to ensure that they meet our criteria.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6935||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birkbeck, University of London
Clearing contact detailsClearing Enquiry form
020 3907 0700
Our Clearing hotline opens at 8.30am on Tuesday 10th August until 6pm and 9am on Wednesday 11th August until 6pm. From Thursday 12th August our phone lines will be open 10.30 - 6pm (Mon-Thur) and 10.30 -5pm (Fri). Virtual Clearing Event - http://www.bbk.ac.uk/events/
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Birkbeck Student Advice Service
0203 907 0700