This BSc Psychology with Accelerated Foundation Year will equip you with knowledge and a critical appreciation of psychological theory and research. Throughout this degree, you will develop the subject-specific skills you need for a career in psychology and postgraduate training, as well as a range of highly transferable skills that are relevant to a range of careers outside of psychology. You will be supported to achieve high levels of numeracy, literacy and problem-solving skills and the ability to make reasoned arguments. This course will build your confidence and give you the core knowledge and key skills you need to succeed at university. You will also sample the subject area you are interested in and deepen your understanding of its career potential. Upon successful completion of the Accelerated Foundation Year, you will automatically progress onto our three-year, full-time, evening study BSc Psychology, which is accredited by the British Psychological Society. You need only complete one application and you enrol onto one course. If you achieve grades of 50%+ in all modules on the Foundation Year, you may progress to Year 2 rather than Year 1 of the full-time course, at the discretion of the Sub-Board of Examiners. This makes it possible for you to complete a BSc or BA in three rather than four years, subject to your performance on the Accelerated Foundation Year. Highlights
- The BSc degrees are accredited by the British Psychological Society and are the first step towards becoming a Chartered Psychologist.
- This course has multiple entry routes, pathways and exit awards, to match the diverse educational and career needs of all of our students. Students returning to study or who would like extra support can opt for routes that provide extra support and guidance.
- Birkbeck's Department of Psychological Sciences is strongly oriented towards research and contains the Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development, the Institute for the Study of Children, Families and Social Issues, the Birkbeck-UCL Centre for Neuroimaging and the Centre for Cognition, Computation and Modelling. The department is also a member of the Bloomsbury Centre for Genetic Epidemiology and Statistics.
- Our Department of Psychological Sciences is consistently regarded as one of the top psychological sciences departments in the UK. In the 2021 Research Excellence Framework, and for the third time, it was ranked in the top ten universities in the UK.
- clinical psychologist
- further education lecturer
- human resources officer
- market researcher.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Assessment methods include coursework and formative exercises, including examinations, in-class work, essays and assignments.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. We also accept other English language tests.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Department before applying to ensure that they meet our criteria.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6935||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birkbeck, University of London
Clearing contact detailsClearing Enquiry form
020 3907 0700
Our Clearing hotline opens at 8.30am on Tuesday 10th August until 6pm and 9am on Wednesday 11th August until 6pm. From Thursday 12th August our phone lines will be open 10.30 - 6pm (Mon-Thur) and 10.30 -5pm (Fri). Virtual Clearing Event - http://www.bbk.ac.uk/events/
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Birkbeck Student Advice Service
0203 907 0700