This degree in financial economics and banking aims to explore the skills needed for a very successful management or leadership career. On successful completion you will have learnt a wide range of transferrable skills which will help you to succeed in a wide variety of disciplines, industries and locations. Practical This is a very hands-on course, where you will have the opportunity to learn not only academic theory but also what happens in the workplace. On successful completion, you should be confident at preparing business reports and presentations, and be confident handling complex economic and financial data. You will have the opportunity to learn to model economic relations, interpret banking theories and economic policies, and analyse and predict business behaviour. This course will help you to develop a superb range of analytical, quantitative, communication and IT skills, and be able to apply them in real-life situations. Technology You will be taught to use the industry-standard software you’ll encounter in the workplace when you graduate. Besides learning Excel to an advanced level, you’ll use econometrics software such as Eviews and/or STATA. You’ll also use our mock trading floor, which mirrors an investment bank and is equipped with Bloomberg terminals; Global investor simulation; S&P Capital IQ (for company data and analytical tools. London You will study in one of the world’s leading cities for finance, which means you’ll be surrounded by world-famous institutions, huge investment and retail banks, venture-capital companies, hedge funds, fintech firms, analysts and consultants, and much more. You’ll have opportunities to visit and hear from a range of organisations and institutions, and even to apply to do an internship with one or more of them (subject to application and availability). Since this is London, you’ll also be surrounded by countless finance and economics-related conferences, expos and museums. Tutors You will be taught by enthusiastic and helpful tutors who have experience of working in finance, economics and/or banking, and who hold a range of both academic and professional qualifications. If you need extra support with statistics, mathematics or Excel, they run additional workshops to help. They will also use their extensive network of contacts to create opportunities for you – which could include networking with employers, UK and international field trips (subject to additional costs and availability), study trips, guest lectures, extra-curricular workshops, and competitions. Key Course Benefits;
- On successful completion of your course, you should have a clear understanding of your career options in the world of international economics, banking and finance – and beyond.
- You will enjoy a truly multi-cultural experience, since you’ll be studying alongside students drawn from many countries around the world.
- We aim to invite guest speakers from the world of finance, economics and banking to come in and lecture students, discuss their work and offer career advice.
- Your teaching and assessments will closely reflect the kind of work you could do in the workplace, so you should be more confident when you begin your working career.
- This course will give you the tools to become a confident and independent thinker, with strong research skills and the ability to devise effective solutions to challenges.
- You will be taught how to do mathematical and statistical modelling, and how to use industry-standard software used in finance so that on successful completion you’ll transition more easily to the world of work.
- You will study in the heart of London, one of the world’s leading financial centers, and apply for opportunities for work experience in either or both of London’s two financial districts.
Your main study themes are:
- Ethics Ever since the global financial crisis of 2008, the spotlight has – quite rightly – been on the behaviour and performance of the financial markets. We will also look at globalisation, and sustainability in international economic development.
- Integration The economic crisis revealed that economists and financiers had rarely understood each other’s work. This course helps to bring an end to the separation between economics and banking – recognising that they are, in fact, intertwined.
- Application This course doesn’t just teach you the theory of finance, banking and economics – it gets you to work. You will be taught to use the technology, do the modelling and simulations, make the presentations, and could even do an internship (subject to application and availability). All of which will help you to fit more easily into the workplace when you graduate.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Coventry University London
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions Office
Thursday 18 August 08:00-20:00, Friday 19 August 08:00-18:00, Saturday 20 August 10:00-16:00, Sunday 21 August 10:00-16:00, Monday 22 August onwards (weekdays only) 08:00-18:30
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222