This professionally accredited degree aims to equip you with the necessary skills and expertise to make a significant early contribution to motorsport engineering and embark on your professional journey to become a Chartered Engineer. Coventry University is recognised as a renowned centre for motorsport and performance engineering. Our close relationship with the UK performance engineering industry helps to ensure course content reflects current trends and challenges, as well as the latest technologies, design systems and testing processes in this fast-paced, ever-evolving industry. Our suite of ‘Mechanical Engineering’ courses has been ranked 3rd in the UK by the Guardian University Guide 2019. Our course enjoys high levels of student satisfaction – 100% overall and for the quality of teaching in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2016. We also have an outstanding track record for graduate employability with 100% of graduates employed or continuing their studies within six months (DLHE 2014/15) and 97% of those employed graduates in professional-level jobs. Teaching is highly practical, focused on providing a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles of motorsport engineering and, more importantly, how this knowledge is applied in the industry. You will have the opportunity to work with staff on real-world problems from industry, commerce and research groups, as you would in professional practice. We will provide the opportunity for you to apply for professional placements with a wide variety of motorsport and engineering companies, as well as a year abroad (placements subject to availability). You could also take part in exciting projects, such as Shell Eco-marathon or the Institution of Mechanical Engineer’s Formula Student project, which is the biggest student motorsport competition in the world. We have many vehicles and systems available for you to study and test, together with lots of experimental equipment, such as a wind tunnel, four post shaker rig, damper dyno and engine dyno. You will be taught by academics with wide ranging industrial experience including, for example, automotive and race car deign with AEG, JLR and BMW. Many are actively involved in cutting-edge commercial and academic research in areas such as vehicle dynamics, light weighting, advanced simulation, future concepts and crash protection. Key Course Benefits
- Regular lectures delivered by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- Close links with employers in the performance engineering industry, including Red Bull Racing, the Auto-Cycle Union, Lotus Cars, Penske Racing and Triumph Motorcycles
- Opportunity to participate in fieldtrips which have included observing crash tests at the GM Milford site and a tour of the Ford F150 factory in Detroit, USA (subject to application and additional costs)
- Accredited on behalf of the Engineering Council, successful completion automatically meets the exemplifying academic benchmark requirements for registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and constitutes part of the requirements for Chartered status
- On and off site access to commercial engineering software, such as 3D CAD, Finite Element Analysis, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Multibody Systems for design and simulation, as well as training in industry standard Catia, HyperWorks, STAR-CCM+, SIMPACK software
- Access to extensive cutting-edge facilities in our High Performance Engineering Centre, which houses a 20% scale model wind tunnel (designed and built by the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team), composites lab, metrology lab, flow lab, AVL engine test cell, automotive workshop, fatigue and tensile testing (Instron), a full size Harrier Jet, three further simulators, civil engineering specialist testing equipment, a range of CNC machinery and a laser workshop
Your main study themes are:
- Design: The innovative resolution of design problems focused on commercially viable solutions.
- Analysis: You will have the chance to learn to use industry standard software to model, analyse and validate vehicle behaviour, components and systems.
- Management: The application of principles and practices utilised to assure effective business operation.Sustainability: An ethical approach to work by protecting the best interests of life and the environment.
- Practical: Investigation and analysis using laboratory, workshop and computer-based techniques.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Mechanical Engineers, Institution of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions Office
Thursday 18 August 08:00-20:00, Friday 19 August 08:00-18:00, Saturday 20 August 10:00-16:00, Sunday 21 August 10:00-16:00, Monday 22 August onwards (weekdays only) 08:00-18:30
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152