Coventry University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Offering the chance to learn about the banking industry, as well as gain a background in other key financial areas, our degree is focused on providing you with the skills and knowledge needed to have a career in the banking sector. Delivered by professional academic staff who have industry experience, the applied nature of the course should help to prepare you to work in the fast-paced banking and finance industry. For instance, the Applied Banking Case Study module allows you to work on real case studies covering specific issues faced by banks in the global banking environment, forcing you to apply your knowledge to make recommendations on how to solve problems that could be encountered in a future career within the sector. Employability is a key concern not only within the course’s modules, but also in the support offered, which can cover sessions on CV writing and mock interviews with Business Futures, our employability team, to attendance at events such as Careers in Banking, which in 2019 saw guest speakers from a range of institutions provide advice and guidance on a career in the sector. As a student of Coventry Business School, you will also have access to our Trading Floor, which is currently one of the largest academic Trading Floors in Europe, and incorporates a variety of analytical, news and data platforms to give you a first-hand experience of industry-standards tools. There is also opportunity for international experiences as part of the course, either on fieldtrips specifically related to course content, or through Business School or University wide trips (subject to availability, fees apply). The international nature of the modern banking industry is also considered, with every module looked at from a global perspective. Key Course Benefits
- The opportunity to increase your employability by gaining hands on experience of market leading financial databases such as Thomson Reuters Eikon, Bloomberg, Fitch Connect, Thomson Reuters Datastream, and Bereau ba Dijk Fame.
- Access to Coventry Business School’s Trading Floor, the largest of its kind in Europe.
- Bespoke employability modules, Employability Skills in Finance 1 and 2, are designed to help you as you apply for internships, placements and graduate jobs in the banking and finance sector.
- Support from the Business Schools employability team, Business Futures, who offer support and guidance to help you secure placements and graduate jobs, including mock interviews and CV workshops.
- Modules focused on key topics within the banking industry, giving you the opportunity to understand contemporary issues related to the sector.
- Opportunity to study an Add+vantage module each year; allowing you to specialise in a subject not related to banking or finance, such as a language, giving you that added extra when applying for jobs in an international industry.
- Guest lectures and sessions from the banking industry, alongside course input from leading financial organisations such as CFA UK and CII.
- Access to Coventry Business School’s Progress Coaches, who can support your progress throughout your degree.
Your main study themes are:
- Financial markets and financial principles - Develop knowledge of the function of financial markets, banks and other financial institutions along with an understanding of contemporary financial principles and theories.
- Understanding and using financial data – Giving you the opportunity to locate, extract and interpret finance-related data, and be able to apply appropriate financial, theoretical, quantitative and evaluation techniques to a range of banking and finance related issues.
- Professional, ethical and regulatory issues in banking – Give you the opportunity to gain a deep understanding of the professional, ethical and regulatory issues relevant to banks and other financial institutions in a local, national and global context.
- Personal employability and industry skills – Provide you with the opportunity to develop key competencies required in any future career in the sector, namely numeracy, communication, information literacy, independent thought, creative problem-solving, analysis and sustainable conduct.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|