The best defence against disease isn’t a new therapy, wonder drug or technological miracle. It’s knowledge. With our MSc Biomedical Science course, you will gain the technical skills and in-depth understanding to explore, harness and add to that knowledge. It’s a masters course that offers a broad base of understanding and the opportunity to investigate specialist areas of biomedical science. As well as units offering advanced analytical techniques and an in-depth understanding of different aspects of disease, you will explore areas that match your personal interests and career ambitions. You’ll complete an independent research project, building professional-level research skills. This is your opportunity to explore the issues that fascinate you – making the most of our extensive links with hospitals across Greater Manchester to conduct research in clinically relevant areas in a real-world context. Our course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) which means our teaching is of a high standard and provides wide-ranging, research-informed education to ensure you develop the practical skills and experience that employers’ value. Please note, that although this MSc is accredited by the IBMS it does not fulfil the requirements to gaining registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and does not provide the opportunity to complete the IBMS Registration Training Portfolio. Please visit the IBMS website for more information and advice on HCPC registration. Features and Benefits
- Excellent standards – Recognised for our expertise, the course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science.
- Recognised expertise – Our Centre for Bioscience represents one of the highest concentrations of health research excellence in the UK, with a reputation for research into the characteristics, limitations and adaptability of the human motor system.
- Professional links – We have strong links with the Institute of Biomedical Science, the Health and Care Professions Council, the NHS trusts and hospitals in Manchester and the North West, ensuring our biomedical science curriculum is up-to-date.
- Practical connections – We work in partnership with hospitals across the region, offering the chance to organise research projects in clinically relevant areas.
- Leading research – 85% of our research impact is rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ (REF 2014).
- Cutting-edge facilities – We have an extensive range of equipment in our specialist laboratories for blood biochemistry, biomechanics, microbiology, motor control, exercise performance, cell and molecular biology, and tissue culture.
- Industry links – we have strong links with the Institute of Biomedical Science, the Health and Care Professions Council, the NHS trusts and hospitals in Manchester and the North West, ensuring our biomedical science curriculum is up-to-date.
- Athena SWAN award – Manchester Metropolitan University’s commitment to promote and advance gender equality in STEM subjects has been recognised with a Bronze Athena SWAN award.
- Online learning – Our online virtual learning platform ‘Moodle’ provides access to lectures, course materials and assessment information.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Biomedical Science, Institute of
You’ll need a UK honours degree – at least a 2:2 – or the international equivalent, in biological or biomedical science. We might also consider your application if you a have an equivalent professional qualification or substantial relevant professional experience, or if you have an HNC medical laboratory science plus at least 10 years’ experience. If you’re a fellow of The Institute of Biomedical Science, you’ll be eligible for exemption from some of the units on the course. International students please see mmu.ac.uk/international Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 6969