The best defence against disease isn’t a new therapy, wonder drug or technological miracle. It’s knowledge. With our MSc Biomedical Science course, you will gain the technical skills and in-depth understanding to explore, harness and add to that knowledge. It’s a masters course that offers a broad base of understanding and the opportunity to investigate specialist areas of biomedical science. As well as units offering advanced analytical techniques and an in-depth understanding of different aspects of disease, you will explore areas that match your personal interests and career ambitions. You’ll complete an independent research project, building professional-level research skills. This is your opportunity to explore the issues that fascinate you – making the most of our extensive links with hospitals across Greater Manchester to conduct research in clinically relevant areas in a real-world context. Our course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) which means our teaching is of a high standard and provides wide-ranging, research-informed education to ensure you develop the practical skills and experience that employers’ value. Please note, that although this MSc is accredited by the IBMS it does not fulfil the requirements to gaining registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and does not provide the opportunity to complete the IBMS Registration Training Portfolio. Please visit the IBMS website for more information and advice on HCPC registration. Features and Benefits
- Excellent standards – Recognised for our expertise, the course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science.
- Recognised expertise – Our Centre for Bioscience represents one of the highest concentrations of health research excellence in the UK, with pioneering research in lifelong health and ageing, microbiology, vascular biology and musculoskeletal science and sports medicine which has led to important advances in diagnosis and care.
- Professional links – We have strong links with the Institute of Biomedical Science, the Health and Care Professions Council, the NHS trusts and hospitals in Manchester and the North West, ensuring our biomedical science curriculum is up-to-date.
- Online learning – Our virtual learning environment ‘Moodle’ provides access to your personalised timetable, course and assessment information, and library resources, ensuring essential materials are at your fingertips when you need them.
- Practical connections – We work in partnership with hospitals across the region, offering the chance to organise research projects in clinically relevant areas.
- Athena SWAN award – Manchester Metropolitan University’s commitment to promote and advance gender equality in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics subjects has been recognised with a Bronze Athena SWAN award.
- Investing in your future – We’re transforming our science and engineering campus. Opening in September 2023, our £115 million redevelopment provides a professional study environment with world-class facilities, including a brand new 200-capacity super lab, so you’re well prepared to experience life within a modern industry setting when you graduate.
- Cutting-edge facilities – Our modern laboratories for blood biochemistry, microbiology, cell and molecular biology, tissue culture and histology have state-of-the-art specialist equipment so you can gain current laboratory skills in your chosen project area.
- Learn alongside leading researchers – We’re ranked 15th in the UK for the power of our health and biomedical research (REF, 2021).
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Biomedical Science, Institute of
Please see our website for information on entry requirements.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 6969