Our MSc Finance and Investment Banking course will teach you about analysing and valuing investment products, critical analysis of information in derivatives markets and portfolio and investment management. As an Finance student, you’ll have access to our unique Business Lab facility. With 12 double-screen workstations, the room gives you a simulated experience of working in the fast-moving world of shares and trading. You can access sophisticated analysis tools and data on worldwide financial markets. Our Finance and Investment Banking course has been created in collaboration with the Chartered Institute of Finance (CFA). The modules are aligned with the institution’s own qualifications, which you can work towards upon completion of your degree. The Chartered Financial Analyst credential is held by over 150,000 professionals around the world. The charter gives a strong understanding of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills. As we are one of the preferred partners for the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) this course allows our students a quicker route to the CIMA Professional Qualification and the global professional designation of Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA). The CIMA Professional Qualification is recognised worldwide as the most relevant global finance qualification for a career in business. Why choose this degree?
- The degree will give you a wide-ranging theoretical background and equip you with practical skills for active interaction in the world of finance.
- The emphasis of the degree is on applying knowledge, skills and techniques to analyse the instruments, participants and markets in international finance.
- You will complete a comprehensive development programme, which includes a short residential team-building course, usually held in the Peak District.
- You'll complete a hands-on project, giving you a fantastic opportunity to use the theories and knowledge; you've gained to produce a meaningful piece of work. Projects include Consultancy Experience Project, Internship and Business Research Project.
- NTU’s teaching and learning is gold-rated by the government’s Teaching Excellence Framework – that means you can count on outstanding teaching and learning, an education that’s truly focused on the workplace, and fantastic support in and outside of the classroom.
In Semester one you'll study Global Financial Markets, Financial Statement Analysis and Corporate Finance. In Semester two you'll go on to complete the modules Valuation of Investment Products, Derivatives Markets and Investment and Portfolio Management. In your final semester you'll study a major project such as the Consultancy Experience Project; Internship Experience Project or Business Research Project. Throughout the year you'll explore Transformational Leadership Development and Research Methods for Economists.
A range of assessment methods are used across the course, the choice of which reflects the needs and demands of the different types of module. Some modules will assess the ability to work collaboratively in a team and others will assess individual capability. Types of assessment will range from examinations to group presentations including essays, reports, financial analyses, literature reviews and research-based projects.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- The Chartered Financial Analyst Institute
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
An undergraduate degree equivalent to a UK undergraduate Honours degree (2.2 or above) containing some evidence of quantitative ability; the applicant’s undergraduate degree should be in this subject, or in a business and management related subject with a substantial accounting and finance element; all applicants will be required to demonstrate a commitment to the subject they wish to study and should demonstrate how their chosen programme of study will benefit them in their future career; 1 academic reference is required; applicants whose 1st language is not English require IELTS 6.5 with minimum of 5.5 in each component. For the 2-year Masters you'll need a 6.5 grade overall with a minimum of 6.0 in speaking and listening, and 5.5 in reading and writing.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
We have a host of competitive scholarships available. Please visit https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-courses/postgraduate/fees-and-funding/postgraduate-scholarships for further information.
Nottingham Trent University
50 Shakespeare Street
Clearing contact detailsOnline Enquiry Form
Our Clearing Hotline is opening hours are: Monday to Thursday 0930-1630; Friday 0930-1600 From 17 August we have extended opening hours: Thursday 17 August 0800 - 1900 Friday 18 August 0800 - 1900 Saturday 19 August 0900 - 1700 Sunday 20 August 1000 - 1400 Monday 21 August - Friday 25 August 0900-1700
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Applicant Enquiries Team
+44(0)115 848 4200