Make sure you check on the university, college or conservatoire website for any updates about course changes as a result of COVID-19.

Course summary

The information provided on this page was correct at the time of publication (October/November 2022). For complete and up-to-date information about this course, please visit the relevant University of Oxford course page via www.graduate.ox.ac.uk/ucas Course objectives The course seeks to cultivate the analytical and critical skills relevant to economic development, in particular those needed to assess alternative approaches to policy. It provides the rigorous quantitative training that development work now requires, helping you develop the ability to access, process and interpret a variety of data. It aims to provide the research tools and approaches needed for those who wish to proceed to doctoral research in development economics. Courses structure You will take courses in economic theory (split between macroeconomics, microeconomics and international trade), a course in quantitative methods (ie econometrics) and a series of elective modules in development economics. Topics vary from year to year. In recent years, modules have covered topics such as agriculture, political economy and institutions, globalisation, macro-finance, risk and microfinance. Students typically follow four or five out of eight modules offered. A central component of the course is a dissertation written on a subject which you choose in consultation with your supervisor and with the agreement of your Course Director. More information on the structure of the course is available in the course handbook on the departmental website’s course page. Teaching and learning The course is taught through lectures and classes and, for the development modules, student presentations. The quantitative methods course also includes hands-on training in the use of specialist statistical software. Class sizes are small – usually between 5 and 30 students – encouraging active participation and enabling students to learn from each other. During the course you will be required to complete a number of problem sets and write essays for individual supervisors (the tutorial system). This system is used to build critical and analytical skills and is particularly beneficial to students from a different background of instruction. Around 65% - 75% of a your time will be spent on lectures and guided study, with the remaining 25% - 35% devoted to self-directed work, much of which will be spent on your dissertation.


Entry requirements

For complete and up-to-date information about this course, please visit the relevant University of Oxford course page via www.graduate.ox.ac.uk/ucas


Fees and funding

Tuition fees

No fee information has been provided for this course

Additional fee information

For complete and up-to-date information about fees and funding for this course, please visit the relevant University of Oxford course page via www.graduate.ox.ac.uk/ucas.
Economics for Development at University of Oxford - UCAS