About this Course: This course is a professional full-time, or two year part-time course validated by Sheffield Hallam University. This course can be accessed as either a three-year graphic design programme or as a progression route for those students who have completed a Level 5 graphic/creative design-related course, such as a Foundation Degree or Higher National Diploma. This course will provide you with an environment for creative experiment and academic understanding. All of our tutors are experienced Graphic Designers from within industry. You will be based in our professional studio spaces which provide a stimulating learning environment allowing you to develop your own creative strengths. We have professional guest speakers from industry together with visits to galleries, exhibitions and residential travel abroad. It builds on our graduate success rate of our Foundation Degree in Graphic Design and has a high level of success with students gaining employment within the industry. The course will equip you with the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills required for success and future employment in the graphic design sector. The staff team has a range of experience from practice within the industry with local, national and international networks. Modules Covered: Part one
- Explore and study an area of interest such as Illustration, Typography, Branding or UX/UI design
- Explore and investigate a research topic that will provide the basis for practical work
- Construct a written project proposal on a research topic within a specialist practice
- Review and evaluate progress, analyse ongoing strengths and weaknesses
- Attend workshops, seminars and lectures by lead by industry professionals
- Students are also encouraged to enter the Design and Art Direction, New Blood Student Awards each year, to enhance their professional practice and further develop a creative, professional quality portfolio of work.
- Research and production of a practical body of work
- Develop an ongoing professional practice by engaging with a range of institutions, local industry and commercial partners
- Graduation Project presentation at the Final Year Show at UCR. This is a celebratory event attended by friends, family, industry partners, local design studios and academic institutions.
- Graduates have gained work in design consultancies and agencies. With opportunities both in the UK and abroad, for Graphic Designers, Studio Managers, Creative Directors, Freelance Designers and Self Employment.
- There are also opportunities for further study at Level 7 or entry onto a teacher training course.
- Successful completion of a Graphic Design- related subject at Level 5 such as a Foundation Degree (pass) or Higher National Diploma (Merit)
- GCSE Maths and English at Grade C/4 or equivalent
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality of your portfolio and a satisfactory interview.
Qualified teacher status (QTS)
To work as a teacher at a state school in England or Wales, you will need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS). This is offered on this course for the following level:
- Course does not award QTS
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- University Centre Rotherham (UCR)
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
All applicants who are non-native English speakers, or who have not studied the final two years of school in English, must have an IELTS score of 6.0 or above.
Typical entry requirements would include successful completion of a Graphic Design related subject at Level 5 such as: Foundation Degree (Pass) or HND (Merit). Please note GCSE Maths and English at grade C, or equivalent, including basic skills qualifications are also required. Emphasis will be placed on the quality of your portfolio and a satisfactory interview. All applicants who are non-native English speakers, or who have not studied the final two years of school in English, must have an IELTS score of 6.0 or above.
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||All applicants who are non-native English speakers, or who have not studied the final two years of school in English, must have an IELTS score of 6.0 or above.|
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6900||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University Centre Rotherham
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Course Enquiries - Rotherham College