Investigating disease at a cellular level means joining the fight against some of the most serious disorders afflicting humans. We’ve designed our MSc Cellular Pathology course to enable you to develop an advanced understanding of cellular pathology that you’ll need in a research or clinical context. You’ll cover a range of different areas – exploring disorders, developing analytical techniques and getting to grips with histopathology. You’ll also complete an independent research project, building professional-level research skills. This is your opportunity to explore the pathologies that fascinate you – making the most of our extensive links with hospitals across Greater Manchester to conduct research in clinically relevant areas in a real-world context. Throughout the masters, you will have the support of an expert team and access to specialist, in-house laboratory facilities at the University. Our course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) which means our teaching is of a high standard and provides wide-ranging, research-informed education to ensure you develop the practical skills and experience that employers’ value. Please note, that although this MSc is accredited by the IBMS it does not fulfill the requirements to gaining registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and does not provide the opportunity to complete the IBMS Registration Training Portfolio. Please visit the IBMS website for more information and advice on HCPC registration. Features and Benefits
- Excellent standards – Reflecting the quality of our teaching and our curriculum, the course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science.
- Recognised expertise – Our Centre for Bioscience represents one of the highest concentrations of health research excellence in the UK, with pioneering research in lifelong health and ageing, microbiology, vascular biology and musculoskeletal science and sports medicine which has led to important advances in diagnosis and care.
- Professional links - We have strong links with the Institute of Biomedical Science, the Health and Care Professions Council, the NHS trusts and hospitals in Manchester and the North West, ensuring the curriculum is up-to-date.
- Practical connections – We work in partnership with hospitals across the region, offering the chance to organise research projects in clinically relevant areas.
- Athena SWAN award – Manchester Metropolitan University’s commitment to promote and advance gender equality in STEM subjects has been recognised with a Bronze Athena SWAN award.
- Online learning – Our virtual learning environment ‘Moodle’ provides access to your personalised timetable, course and assessment information, and library resources, ensuring essential materials are at your fingertips when you need them.
- Investing in your future - We’re transforming our science and engineering campus. Opening in 2023, our multi-million redevelopment provides a professional study environment with world-class facilities, including a brand new 200-capacity super lab, so you’re well prepared to experience life within a modern industry setting when you graduate.
- Cutting-edge facilities – We have a new histology suite in addition to our modern laboratories for blood biochemistry, microbiology, tissue culture, and cell and molecular biology. The histology suite has a state-of-the-art tissue processor and wax embedding stations, and a new cryostat and advanced microtome that are both used for cutting sections of tissue for histological analysis.
- Learn alongside leading researchers – We’re ranked 15th in the UK for the power of our health and biomedical research (REF, 2021).
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Biomedical Science, Institute of
How to apply
International students please see: mmu.ac.uk/international.
Please see our website for information on entry requirements.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 6969