This unique BBA Culinary Industry Management, jointly delivered by Birkbeck and the renowned Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts Institute, provides you with a firm foundation in culinary techniques and the skills required to manage successful food businesses or to progress your career in the service industry. This culinary industry management degree allows you to address key concepts in the culinary arts while learning the project management and development skills required of managers in food businesses in the twenty-first century. You will also gain experience of a real food business work environment through an internship component. Some of the employers we have worked with include the Maybourne Hotel Group, The Ritz London, and Roka and Zuma. The course also enables you to develop your research and presentation skills together with your ability to design, develop and implement systems that assist in the successful operation of a food business. It encourages forward thinking and the ability to develop ideas that may provide a positive contribution to the changing needs of the global food industry and the environment in which it operates. Teaching on this London-based culinary management degree is equally split between Birkbeck’s Department of Management and Le Cordon Bleu London. If you opt for the Foundation Year route, this will fully prepare you for undergraduate study. It is ideal if you are returning to study after a gap, or if you have not previously studied the relevant subjects, or if you didn't achieve the grades you need for a place on your chosen undergraduate degree. Throughout the year, you will have the opportunity to engage with Le Cordon Bleu by attending culinary demonstrations and networking events. Please note: This is an academically rigorous course which is best suited to individuals who are looking to progress into a culinary/food service management role, while gaining an understanding of culinary arts techniques. Highlights
- This unique BBA, which combines business and management content with modules in culinary arts and hospitality, is the only one of its kind in London.
- Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts Institute is an internationally recognised leader in the teaching of culinary arts, with a team of classically trained Master Chefs, and Wine and Hospitality professionals. Its London centre has state-of-the-art facilities for the delivery of its culinary courses and its close proximity to Birkbeck enables students to move between both sites easily.
- Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
- We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
- new product and recipe development
- concept development
- food production management
- food and beverage management
- entrepreneurs setting up their own business.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Examinations, including practical examinations for the culinary modules, and coursework in the form of essays, case studies, presentations, group-work tasks and in-class tests plus a final research project.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Le Cordon Bleu
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. We also accept other English language tests.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. You must be aged 18 or over when the programme starts to be considered.
Additional entry requirements
Institutions Own Test (IOT)
Applicants who do not hold the desired qualification may be required to carry out a skills audit at a selection evening, which comprises English and mathematics.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|