Biomedical science forms an important component of medical science, informing, supporting and improving human healthcare and medicine. It is a broad-based science degree which studies the biological mechanisms of human health and disease. Why study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science (with Foundation Year option) at BU?
- Study strategies of research, new discoveries and principles of new technologies for more effective analysis and precise interpretations of health and disease
- Understand the theories, concepts and principles relevant to different disciplines in biomedical science as well as the wider application of these to address societal needs
- Develop skills to evaluate scientific literature to understand how evidence-based decisions are made in biomedical sciences and how to conduct your own biomedical science research
- Complete a 30-week placement in year three to experience some essential and fascinating insights for your future career
- Explore different techniques for developing medicine and how they are used to treat illness in the human body in our new state-of-the-art laboratory facilities.
- Within 15 months of graduating, 96% of our students are in employment or further study (source DiscoverUni 2022)
During the foundation year, you will study the following units: Applied Sciences; Introduction to Biology Introduction to Chemistry; Introduction to Psychology; Mathematics in Science; Academic Study Skills; and Foundation Year Project. As part of the degree, you will study a number of units including Biological Research Skills, Cell Biology, Chemistry, Introduction to Molecular Genetics, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Advanced Immunology, Advanced Skills for Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Pathophysiology, Introduction to Pharmacology along a number of optional units including Introduction to Toxicology, Biomolecules, Parasitology and Epidemiology.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
AccessBU: AccessBU provides you with the opportunity to tell us about your circumstances that are not always evident in your UCAS application. This widening access initiative also considers relevant criteria such as being in care or if you live in an area with a low participation rate in Higher Education - if you are eligible, your offer could be up to 16 UCAS tariff points below the published tariff. Apprenticeships: We recognise the transferable knowledge and skills gained through apprenticeships and welcome applications from students with a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship recognised by the Institute for Apprenticeships. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Deferred entry: We are happy to consider eligible applicants for deferred entry. If you have already submitted your application, please submit your deferral request through our website. Direct entry: We welcome applications from students who have previously studied at degree level at other institutions and wish to transfer onto a BU course. Our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) procedure enables credit awarded from one institution to contribute to a BU award, subject to an application process. Please visit our RPL webpage for more information. Mature applicants: We recognise that mature applicants may have a wealth of experience rather than formal qualifications, so we’ll consider your application on these merits if included in your application. You’ll need to apply to BU in the usual way through UCAS and you may be invited to an interview to discuss your suitability for the course based on the experience you tell us about in your application.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information