The European Studies (German pathway) BA is an interdepartmental study course that allows you to study Modern Europe from a German perspective. You will study the politics, history, language and contemporary culture of Germany. This will prepare you for the third year, which is typically taught and examined in German at Humboldt- Universität zu Berlin our current German partner. Key benefits
- No prior knowledge of German is required for the ab initio version of this pathway, you will learn the language from scratch.
- Taught by research-active, multi-national team of academics with the opportunity to specialise in particular fields or politics, government and nation.
- Your third-year will be spent studying abroad providing you with excellent opportunities to engage in German culture and society.
- Opportunities to take part in a broad range of extra-curricular events, from lectures by visiting speakers to the student-organised annual ‘European Week’ where you will debate contemporary issues.
- You will develop analytical and presentational skills valued by employers, opening up career opportunities in politics, diplomacy, administrations, business and journalism.
- Enjoy an unrivalled range of contacts with cultural institutes, libraries, international firms and government agencies.
This course offers the following subject options:
- Ab Initio German
- Standard Language Pathway
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Required Subjects: German (except for candidates for the ab initio German pathway).
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in each skill|
|PTE Academic||69 overall with a minimum of 62 in each skill|
|TOEFL (iBT)||100 overall with a minimum of 25 in writing and 23 in each of the other skills|
|Cambridge English Advanced||185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each skill|
|Cambridge English Proficiency||185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each skill|
|Trinity ISE||Level III (ISEIII) with merit in each skill|
|Institution's Own Test||Pass the King's Pre-Sessional English Language Programme with Band 7|
We also accept the English Language component of a number of International and European qualifications as meeting our English Language requirements. These can include GCSE English, the International Baccalaureate, the Abitur or the French Baccalaureat. For more details, please see our website. Please note that the course requirements are under Band B.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|