University of Northampton has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Why study this course? Computer systems play an integral role in our society. From local, small scale systems to larger multi-national companies, this industry is key for making devices interact and enabling people to communicate quickly and securely. The computing industry impacts on the daily lives of millions of people, all with individual demands and requirements for the technology they use. This industry is growing and evolving, with new avenues of research emerging continually. During your first year you will study common modules with all Computing students, giving you flexibility and choice when you specialise for your second and third years. In your second year, you will be able to follow our specialist pathway to focus on computer networks, modern networks, network planning and programming, as well as mobile computing. You will also have the opportunity to achieve CiscoTM CCNA and CCNA Security certificates and work on a group project. By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- In fact, we’re so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
STAGE 1: • Computer Communications • Computer Systems • Databases 1 • Web Development • Problem Solving and Programming • Software Engineering 1 STAGE 2: • Databases 2 • Group Project • Web Programming • Modern Networks • Operating Systems • Computer Networks STAGE 3: • Artificial Intelligence Techniques • Computing Dissertation • Mobile Computing • Wireless and Advanced Network Technologies • Cyber Security and Cryptography Module information is quoted for 19/20 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
A wide range of assessment tools are used including: • essays • reports • end of year examinations.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||112 points|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DMM|
|Access to HE Diploma||M: 30 credits|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DD||Accepted at DM with an BTEC Subsidiary Diploma or Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma at Merit, or with an A-level at C.|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme||25 points|
|Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)||H3, H3, H3, H3|
|Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal||M2, M3, M3|
GCSE Mathematics at grade 4 (or C) required
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Northampton
The University of Northampton
Clearing contact details
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0300 303 2772