Develop your creative skills and professional practice. You'll work with industry clients to design products that make a difference. Develop your skills in product design and professional practice. As part of this course, you’ll:
- Gain insight into user requirements, economic, environmental and ethical considerations, as well as materials, manufacturing, production and industry capabilities
- Use your insights to help inform the design of your products
- Design a range of products for both commercial and domestic use, including furniture, interior products, consumer goods and sustainable products
- Work on live industry briefs, which will ensure you’ll be working in real world settings to design products that make a positive contribution to the world around us
- Tutors with extensive professional experience and networks
- Opportunity to take a ‘sandwich’ year – a year of paid employment in industry which will build your skills and experience
- Close links to industry and creative businesses
- Study within one of the largest university arts communities in the north, with 3000 students spread across over 40 courses
- Leeds' thriving creative sector has countless opportunities for product designers on our doorstep
Year 1 Core Modules:
- Introduction to Design Thinking & Product Design
- Designing Through Modelling
- Critical & Contextual Studies 1
- The Design Process
- Human Centred Design Research
- Responsible Design
- External Context Brief 1
- Design for Manufacture
- Critical & Contextual Studies 2
- External Context Brief 2
- Design Futures
- Design for the Real World
- Final Major Project
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- City CampusC
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Additional entry requirements
We conduct interviews as part of the admissions process and suitable applicants will be invited to an interview. At interview you are assessed on your portfolio (artwork or photographs of artwork together with written assignments), general knowledge and your enthusiasm for Product Design.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|