This course is aimed at preparing you for a career in a wide range of marketing communications disciplines. Our accredited course combines the strategic side of marketing with the application of cutting-edge theory and techniques in creative areas such as social media, influencer marketing and campaign planning. It provides a solid theoretical underpinning of marketing as a discipline and how organisations use it, this programme will build upon contemporary techniques to provide knowledge and skills that are directly relevant and applicable to employers and industry best practice. Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), the Institute of Data & Marketing (IDM) and the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR), this programme provides live industry campaigns on which you can apply your learnings and demonstrate your creativity, on top companies and brands such as Pall-Ex, Aston Martin, Samsung and Next. With opportunities to participate in creative pitch competitions such as X-Culture and the CIM The Pitch, students from this course have reached the finals of these cross-university competitions every year for the last two years. Taught by industry practitioners with real world experience, our lecturers have worked both agency and client-side at big name companies across business and consumer brands. You will also have the opportunity to take a placement year in industry, with previous students having secured placements at the likes of Bosch and Samsung. Key features:
- DMU is a Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Accredited Study Centre and an Institute of Data & Marketing (IDM) Key Educational Partner, meaning you can earn exemptions from CIM and IDM professional qualifications in addition to your degree.
- This degree is recognised by the CIPR (Chartered Institute of Public Relations) allowing students the opportunity to become a member for only £35 a year, granting access to CPD materials, networking opportunities and activities to students interested in a career in communications.
- Working in partnership with key industry partners like the Taylor Bennett Foundation and a raft of regional and national agencies, this degree provides students with an accurate picture of working in contemporary agencies.
- Our DMU Works team offer support to help you gain the skills and qualities that today’s employers are looking for through placement opportunities with local, national and global companies. Past students have worked at Next, DHL, Pfizer, FedEx, Rolls-Royce and Walgreens Boots Alliance.
- With the support of our careers and employability team, our graduates have gone on to careers in globally renowned organisations. Recent successes include TJX Europe, Marks and Spencer, Ocado and Vodafone, with graduates landing roles such as social media executive, junior creative executive, public relations account executive and marketing executive.
- This course covers a wide variety of modular content, such as Principles of Marketing, Digital Marketing, Public Relations, Campaign Planning, Social Media and Influencer Marketing, with students often working on live campaign briefs provided by real companies.
- Enjoy an international experience linked to your studies with our DMU Global programme. In the current environment, we are offering virtual experiences, for example with our own campus in Dubai. Previous trips have also included New York, Copenhagen, Paris, Athens, India, Berlin and San Francisco.
Year 1 Block 1: Marketing Essentials Block 2: Fundamentals of Advertising and Marketing Communications Block 3: Marketing in a Digital World Block 4: Regulatory, Ethical and Sustainable Communications Year 2: Block 1: Consumer behaviour and insight Block 2: Brand Strategy and Management Block 3: Digital Marketing and Media Block 4: Public Relations Year 3: Block 1: Market Analysis and Strategy Block 2: Contemporary Issues in Advertising and Public Relations Block 3: Advertising and Campaign Planning or Social Media and Influencer Marketing Block 4: Marketing Dissertation or Brand Portfolio
We want to ensure you have the best learning experience possible and a supportive and nurturing learning community. That’s why we’re introducing a new block model for delivering the majority of our courses, known as Education 2030. This means a more simplified timetable where you will study one subject at a time instead of several at once. You will have more time to engage with your learning and get to know the teaching team and course mates. You will receive faster feedback through more regular assessment, and have a better study-life balance to enjoy other important aspects of university life. You will be taught through a combination of lectures, tutorials, seminars, group work and self-directed study. Assessment is through 100% coursework (presentations, essays and reports) on this programme often in the form of real live briefs from companies.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Leicester Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||including a minimum of 5.5 in each component|
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|