University of Kent

Degree level: Undergraduate

Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism

Course options

Make sure you check on the university, college or conservatoire website for any updates about course changes as a result of COVID-19.

Course summary

Explore the complexity of contemporary media and culture with Kent’s Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism degree. Learn to question how information is interpreted and reacted to in our global society. Our combined subject degree offers an academically rigorous approach to the study of mediated cultural forms, practices and technologies and their vital social, political and economic implications alongside journalism skills. We examine a range of areas, from digital media and journalism, to the creative and cultural industries, to social identities and subcultures. In addition, you are introduced to some basic journalism skills like reporting and feature writing that position you well for a variety of careers in the media sector and beyond. At Kent, Cultural Studies and Media is part of the School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research so you benefit from a large choice of specialist modules on race, social change, criminal justice or disability and the arts. You begin with modules that offer an introduction to journalism skills and provide an overview of different cultural and sociological theories that address ‘culture’, ‘media’ and ‘society’ as part of a broader global and historical context. Your journalism skills are developed further in your second year. You also learn how to conduct and apply qualitative sociological research that explores mass media and advertising; digital media technologies; news and journalism; television and film, to name a few. In your final year of study, there is an option to take a dissertation module on a subject of your choice, which allows you to focus in detail on an area you are particularly passionate about. Approximately 70% of the modules you take are from the discipline of Cultural Studies and Media with the remaining 30% of modules from Journalism. The Cultural Studies modules are taught by leading academics and have the opportunity to choose modules from a wide range of subject areas. Our journalism modules are taught by working professionals in print, digital, radio and television journalism. Cultural Studies and Media BA is available as a single honours degree (UCAS code V902 at institution K24).

Course details


How to apply

Application codes

Course code:
V9P6
Institution code:
K24
Campus name:
Main Site
Campus code:
-

Points of entry

The following entry points are available for this course:

  • Year 1
  • Year 2

Entry requirements for advanced entry (i.e. into Year 2 and beyond)

Direct entry into Year 2 of this programme is considered on a case by case basis.

Entry requirements

Qualification requirements


English language requirements

Applicants should have grade C or 4 in English Language GCSE or a suitable equivalent level qualification.

Please visit our website for further information:

https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/how-to-apply/english-language-requirements.html


Unistats information

Operated by the Office for Students
97%
Student satisfaction
85%
Employment after 15 months (Most common jobs)
90%
Go onto work and study

The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.

Fees and funding

Tuition fees

No fee information has been provided for this course

Additional fee information

All fees for 2022/23 are to be confirmed. Please see the programme page at www.kent.ac.uk for further information on fees and funding options.
Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism at University of Kent - UCAS