Birmingham City University has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Start your journey to an exciting career in digital computing, where you could work to design web pages, build new systems or create multimedia assets for a range of organisations. This multidisciplinary course combines computing and digital media so that you leave university as a versatile graduate with a mix of computing, technical and content creation skills. You’ll study with support of the latest in digital media technology equipment. This includes digital TV studios, edit and dubbing suites. Study with us so you’ll be prepared for a world seeking those able to develop the next generation of digital media products. What's covered in the course? Our Digital Media Computing course is an intellectually challenging and highly rewarding programme that covers everything from coding to animation. It will prepare you to meet the professional and technical demands of industry. In the first year you will learn underlying principles of computer science, as well as visual design and human computer interaction, bringing these together through a collaborative innovation project and taking part in our annual Innovation Fest. This is where students get together to solve society’s problems with creative technology. Previous projects have included medical assistance drones, accessible gaming controllers, and smart housing solutions. The event brings together students, academics and industry guests, so it’s a great way to have fun, build experience and network, and win prizes! During the second and third year of study you will explore more in-depth the areas of web application development, digital media processing, media production and 3D modelling and animation. You will have opportunities to work on real world projects through a major group project in year two, as well as undertaking an individual project in the final year. You will develop key transferable skills, such as teamwork, reflection and self-awareness. You’ll also gain analytical skills through coursework tasks, as well as enhancing your problem solving using a range of systems and technologies. You will have the option to undertake an industrial placement after your second year, gaining valuable work experience, and on the course you'll acquire skills in web technology, programming, animation, 3D modelling, video production, human-computer interaction and interface design to develop web and interactive digital media applications. Why Choose Us?
- Prepare for industry - Gain computing and multimedia skills to apply the latest technologies, as well as the versatility to succeed in a constantly evolving, challenging industry. Our students have gone on to work with companies such as Big Marketing and Caterpillar.
- Highly experienced staff - Our team of academics and practitioners offer not only academic expertise, but also current industry understanding and business acumen.
- Excellent campus facilities - Our City Centre Campus houses the largest University TV studio, within a purpose-built Media Centre at The Parkside Building. You will have the option to join our Curzon Software House and take part in industry projects to build up skills for your CV.
- A range of study techniques - Network opportunities, multimedia events and guest speakers bring the insights, contacts and the realities of the media world to your studies.
- Home to Cisco and Oracle - We are a Cisco ASC (Academy Support Centre) and one of only 10 Cisco Instructor Training Centres (ITC) in the UK.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Millennium Point Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no less than 5.5 in any level|
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birmingham City University
15 Bartholomew Row
Clearing contact details
0121 331 6777
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Course Enquiries Team
0121 331 6295