The BSc Healthcare Science (Radiotherapy Physics) degree will teach you about the processes within planning of cancer treatments and the legal frameworks within which the use of radiation must operate, as well as the processes that ensure the safety of patients, clinicians and the public. This is an ideal degree for students who enjoy physics and technology. Students on this course spend half their time at university and half on placements, preparing for the world of work. This course starts before normal University term time and has different leave entitlements. The degree will:
- Equip you with the skills to work in the NHS or private sector
- Provide transferable skills in team working, communication, problem-solving and analysis
- UK and EU students are eligible to apply for an enhanced support package through the NHS Wales Bursary arrangements. Conditions for funded places apply, for further information please visit our website - www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/studentloansandgrants/nhsfunding/
- EMPLOYABILITY: 100% of Healthcare Science graduates are employed in a professional or managerial job 6 months after graduating (Unistats 2017).
- AVERAGE EARNINGS: The average NHS starting salary for graduate Medical Physics Technologists is £24,000 (Band 5) Typical wage brackets go from £22,128-£41,787.
- ACCREDITATION: Accredited by the NSHCS (National School of Healthcare and Science), on behalf of Health Education England, for the purpose of eligibility for registration as a Healthcare Science Practitioner on the AHCS (Academy for Healthcare and Science) voluntary register.
Year 1 Compulsory Professional Practice 1 Anatomy and Physiology for Healthcare Science Pathophysiology for Healthcare Science Basics of Mathematics and Physics for Healthcare Science Scientific Basis of Medical Physics Informatics and Statistics Manual Handling 1 Violence & Aggression Passport 1 Year 2 Compulsory Professional Practice 2 Research Methods and Statistics Instrumentation Signal Processing and Imaging Healthcare Science Work Based Placement 1 Medical Imaging Practice of Radiation Protection Medical Equipment Lifecycle Non-ionising Radiation and Physiological Measurements Manual Handling 2 Violence & Aggression Passport 2 Year 3 Compulsory Professional Practice 3 Healthcare Science Research Project Healthcare Science Work Based Placement 2 Radiobiology and Clinical Radiotherapy Physics Practice of Radiotherapy Physics Manual Handling 3 Modules are subject to change and departments reserve the right to change the details.
There are a number of tools used for assessment; these can range from unseen written exams, lab reports, essays, presentations and practical work. Students on this course spend approximately half their time at university and half on placements, preparing for the world of work. These placements are organised by the College of Human and Health Sciences.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Singleton Park Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Welsh Government funded places on the Healthcare Science (Radiotherapy Physics) programme are currently only available to UK and EU applicants. International applicants are not able to apply for these places.
Minimum of 5 A-C passes including Welsh/English Language, Mathematics and a Physical Science or Double Award Science.
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
The Admissions Office, Swansea University