On this intensive, hands-on MSc course, you will work on executive and operational challenges in health management to build expertise in business processes, systems and structures. You will develop your strategic leadership and problem-solving skills, underpinned by professional best practice, key management insights and research driven analysis. City’s MSc Health Management provides applied business skills for ambitious professionals working in, or transitioning to, global healthcare, health technologies, strategic healthcare administration and management. You will learn about health management supported by a range of international and cross-sector contexts, including commercial sectors, healthcare, pharma, medical technologies. Working on live projects alongside clinical and management professionals from a wide range of disciplines will enhance your interpersonal skills and provide practical experience of collaborative working. Whether you are an experienced healthcare professional, a successful manager or healthcare administrator, or a graduate with management ambitions looking to develop your career, this course provides the perfect grounding.
- This course is also an excellent route for managers to transition from other industries to healthcare.
- You will benefit from a strong team of global multidisciplinary experts as well as the diverse perspectives and experience that our students bring.
- Such inclusiveness and diversity make for a better education experience appropriate for solving complex and contemporary issues in global healthcare.
- You will benefit from applied learning and a strong practical focus, with modules geared to strategic and operational challenges in global healthcare.
Modules emphasise management thinking, research, concepts, and frameworks and the skills to apply these effectively to move the agenda forwards. Working collaboratively with your peers during your studies develops reflective leadership, your own self-awareness, recognising and supporting the needs of others, working flexibly as a leader or team member. Learning focuses on a critical question-based approach to complex management, organisation and systems challenges, enabling you to become both a creative problem-finder and solver by applying management tools to ask better questions and develop innovative thinking for global careers in healthcare. Core Modules
- Management and Leadership in Healthcare (15 credits)
- Finance and Enterprise Performance (15 credits)
- Health Innovation and Systems Change (15 credits)
- Strategic Management in Healthcare (15 credits)
- Economic Evaluation and Pharma (15 credits)
- Research Methods and Applied Data Analysis (30 credits)
- Health Management Consultancy (15 credits)
- We have an extensive internship programme, with placements subject to application and your experience and skills.
- Internships typically last from two to five months and you would work for two days a week.
You will learn through a dynamic mix of academic lectures, collaborative teamwork assignments and sessions with expert guest speakers from the scientific community and healthcare industry. This approach will encourage you to build your communication and influencing skills and applied knowledge of management and leadership research and practice. The course is designed for busy professionals. You will learn through a combination of lectures, workshops and tutorials. Modules usually take five weeks to complete. There are two delivery modes - blended and online. The blended mode entails attendance in-person at City, University of London, online lectures and tutorials. The online mode can be completed fully online from any location in the UK or globally. Assessment methods vary by module and may be undertaken as individual and group work to assess the full range of knowledge, skills, values and thinking. These methods include: written assignments, case studies, presentations, online tests and a final dissertation on an agreed topic of your choice of relevance to management in healthcare.
Experienced managers will have more to offer on their CV’s. Recent graduates will have a relevant degree and indicate an aptitude for management. The requirements include at least: A minimum 2:1 from a UK University or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. A lower 2.2 or equivalent may be accepted if there is evidence of further study or relevant experience. English Requirements: For applicants whose first language is not English, the following qualification is also required: IELTS: 7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in each category. TOEFL 100 overall with 24 in Writing, 20 in Listening, 19 Reading and 20 Speaking Application process To apply you will need to submit: - Online application form - Personal statement (500-600 words) - Two-page CV - Transcripts of grades (including secondary education) Your personal statement together with your CV should demonstrate your readiness, capability and future plans for the programme. - Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) - Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is where we accept a previous qualification as meeting the learning outcomes (or covering the syllabus) for part of a course or module, so you don't need to take it as part of your degree. If you have previously completed credits from a Masters level qualification that can be matched to credits on the programme qualification you would like to apply for, then you may be eligible for RPL or Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL) at City.
Fees and funding