More than ever, the world needs flexible and prepared thinkers, ready to build financially robust businesses that can deal with the unexpected and cope in a crisis. This challenging degree will build on strong analytical skills, exploring the economics of markets such as money, capital, risk management, and modern finance theory in business. The Accounting with Business Management programme seeks to develop skills in analysis, problem-solving and organisation management which are of value in an ever-changing working environment. Accounting is explored in depth and broadened by the development of links with other disciplines such as Business, Management, Law and Technology. The determination to increase your employability is at the heart of everything we do. Our programme is structured to address many of the competence requirements of professional accounting bodies and to give students a range of learning experiences tailored to careers in accounting. Plus, our Accounting Simulation module prepares you for a career in accounting or finance environments. You will apply your knowledge, skills and values in an employment simulation where you will develop an ability to determine relevant information and select appropriate knowledge and methods for decision-making, mimicking real-world scenarios. Throughout the course we will expand your understanding of business concepts, ideas, models and methods, with strong focus on strategic management. This valuable expertise will help you to stand out in roles in corporations, finance, and the civil service, in the competitive business world. Key features
- You will have the opportunity to gain exemptions from some professional accountancy exams with the ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, CPA Australia, CIPFA and AIA subject to any module-specific criteria, which gives you a great start towards gaining your professional qualification.*
- Acquire the knowledge and critical appreciation of contemporary theories, concepts, values, principles, tools and rules of accounting and business within a range of international and organisational contexts, including the political, legal, economic, social, environmental and technical environment.
- Gain a practical insight into markets and trading with our Trading Room, which gives you access to industry-standard software to analyse share prices and company performance.
- Develop an understanding of the relationship between accounting theory and empirical testing and apply this knowledge through assessments, including exams, group work, portfolios and presentations.
- Through block teaching, you will focus on one subject at a time instead of several at once. This means that you will be able to focus closely on each subject and absorb your learning material in more depth whilst working more closely with your tutors and coursemates.
- Students have secured year-long placements in companies such as VW, Microsoft, Bosch, IBM, Pfizer, HSBC and Siemens through our DMU Works careers and employability team, who provide exceptional support to help you plan your career path.
Year 1 Block 1: Accounting in the Business Environment Block 2: Accounting for Organisational Performance Block 3: Financial Accounting Block 4: Management Accounting Year 2 Block 1: Organisational Behaviour and Leadership Block 2: International Financial Reporting and Business Taxation Block 3: Digital Business and Data Analytics Block 4: Performance Measurement and Decision Making Year 3 Block 1: Strategic Management and Governance Block 2: Financial Strategy Block 3: Choose one from the below: Project Management for Sustainable Business Accounting Simulation Block 4: Critical Risk Management
You will be taught through a combination of large group sessions, tutorials, online resources and self-directed study. Students are given feedback throughout the course to develop and improve their economic and business strategy skills. Through the use of assessments emphasis is placed on research and analytical skills. Assessment may include, but is not limited to, portfolios of learning, essays, online tests, workbooks, case studies, or exams.
Qualified teacher status (QTS)
To work as a teacher at a state school in England or Wales, you will need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS). This is offered on this course for the following level:
- Course does not award QTS
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Leicester Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding