The MChem (Hons) Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry is an integrated four-year undergraduate masters degree providing an excellent grounding in the skills and knowledge vital to a future as a pharmaceutical chemist working in drug discovery. Throughout the programme, you’ll study a wide range of subjects, both to gain a good understanding of the wider subject and to develop the specialist skills central to pharmaceutical chemistry. So, while you’ll study general chemistry, research methods and professional laboratory techniques, your programme will also focus on more specialist areas like drug testing, drug efficacy, computer-based drug design and the quality control of pharmaceuticals. The MChem (Hons) Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry degree also includes a research project unit, where you spend a year focusing on a major independent project in pharmaceutical chemistry that you design, carry out and present, alongside your other areas of study. FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Over the last two years, we have invested half a million pounds to enhance our undergraduate lab experience and extend our wide range of analytical instrumentation, ensuring that you will benefit from a professional work environment. This includes a high-specification lab area with industry standard equipment and an adjacent computer suite.
- We are investing £115m to transform the way we teach in the Faculty of Science and Engineering. Opening in 2023, our new Dalton building will enhance collaboration between students, staff and industry and provide new and improved teaching spaces, including a 200-student capacity ‘super lab’.
- Our teaching is supported by a range of technological innovations including videos, specialist software and simulations to help you to prepare for practicals in advance – building your confidence in using lab equipment and allowing you to practise virtually from home.
- In your first year you will have access to our online homework system, which allows you immediate, targeted feedback and hints to help you understand and practise key concepts.
- We have embedded career preparation activities into each year of your course to help you explore options, gain key employability skills, and build your confidence to apply for work experience and your future graduate career.
- You can take the five-year route and boost your career prospects with a 9-12 month placement. This may be subject to availability.
- Our diverse research activities directly inform our teaching. These focus on creating a sustainable and healthy future, including biosensors, drug discovery and the chemical monitoring of environmental change.
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English Language or Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills English and GCSE grade C/4 or above in Mathematics or Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills Mathematics The level 2 requirements may also be met through the level 3 course requirements for the course; please contact the University directly if you require further information.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course