Overview We've designed this programme for teachers, teacher trainers and materials writers, researchers and administrators in the field of Foreign Language Teaching (particularly English as a Foreign Language). More particularly, the programme aims to:
- Increase your awareness and knowledge of relevant areas of applied linguistics research and theory
- Help you to apply relevant applied linguistics research and theory to the practicalities of language teaching
- Assist you in developing a deeper understanding of current classroom methodology, as well as of current developments in testing, in course design and in materials development
- Increase your awareness and knowledge of the latest approaches to language analysis, and of their potential for application to language teaching.
- Normally you’ll need a first degree and relevant professional experience before applying for this programme.
How to apply
International qualifications Applications from international students are welcome. International qualifications will be evaluated in line with the National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) guidelines. English language qualifications All applicants must have reached a minimum required standard of English language, and are required to provide evidence of this. Qualifications accepted by the University include GCSE English; GCE O level English; AS Level English; A Level English Language; IELTS; TOEFL; Cambridge Proficiency etc. Please see www.liv.ac.uk/international/countries/ for a full list. If you meet our other academic requirements but do not achieve the required level of English, it is possible to come and study at Liverpool on the University’s summer academic English programmes. The University's English Language Centre provides tuition and arranges IELTS tests. For more information about this, and the specific entry requirements for this programmes/department, please visit www.liv.ac.uk/english-language-centre/pre-sessional-english-courses/.
Applicants should have a UK 2:1 first degree, usually in English, Linguistics or Education, but candidates who have studied other subjects may be considered. A minimum of 12 months teaching experience is required for this programme. If applicants do not have teaching experience they should apply for the MA in TESOL. International qualifications: Applications from international students are welcome. International qualifications will be evaluated in line with the National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) guidelines.
Fees and funding