The foundation year provides a route onto a biology or chemistry degree if you don't have the qualifications or have not studied advanced level subjects sufficiently related to your course of choice. After successful completion of the Foundation Year in Biology and Chemistry, you can progress on to one of the relevant BSc (Hons) degrees:
- BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Conservation
- BSc (Hons) Biology
- BSc (Hons) Microbiology and Molecular Biology
- BSc (Hons) Zoology
- BSc (Hons) Chemistry
- BSc (Hons) Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Provides a route onto your chosen degree course if you don't meet the current entry requirements.
- Foundation years are designed to make undergraduate degrees more accessible to those who are under-represented in higher education, for example, those with non-traditional qualifications.
- Course content is tailored so that it is appropriate to your chosen degree.
- Helps you to develop the study skills and academic knowledge you will need to start Year 1 of your course with confidence.
- You will be eligible to apply for student finance in the same way as other undergraduates.
- Explore the topics and issues that shape the world around us, and choose from a range of exciting and rewarding specialisms within animal behaviour, conservation and biology.
- Develop practical skills in the laboratory and in the field, both in the UK and overseas – that could include fieldwork in Portugal, Tanzania, Kenya or South America, subject to national and international travel restrictions.
- Learn in high-spec laboratories, including a specialist microbiology and cell/molecular biology lab, a DNA-sequencing lab, specialist animal behaviour facilities with Ethovision and Observer software, invertebrate behaviour, freshwater and terrestrial ecology labs, and controlled environment plant growth chambers.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 69 69