Course overview The MSc Mental Health Nursing (pre-registration) has been designed with graduates in mind, building upon those existing skills you achieved through your undergraduate degree, and applying these at masters level. One in every eight people in the world live with a mental disorder. This is often characterised by a clinically significant disturbance in an individual’s cognition, emotional regulation, or behaviour (WHO 2022). In addition to exploring a range of mental health conditions and presentations, for example psychosis, depression, self-harm and suicide risk, you’ll identify the variant determinants of health as well as the inequality that exists across populations. You’ll be introduced to the psychosocial interventions and medical treatments that are available. Working within an ethos of patient-centred care and collaboration, you’ll start to build therapeutic relationships with individuals from your first placement experience. You’ll become an advocate for vulnerable patients, adhering to capacity and mental health law yet questioning and challenging coercive practices. Throughout your study, you will split your time equally between placement/simulation-based learning and theory. This course is designed to equip you with both the practical skills and theoretical knowledge needed for you to become a future leader. At Manchester Met, all our academic team in the School of Nursing have been practising registered nurses from a range of clinical and managerial backgrounds. Our mental health team has been recruited from diverse backgrounds, including community mental health care, alcohol and substance use, acute inpatient, and liaison psychiatry, peri/post-natal mental health and mental health law. To fund your postgraduate pre-registration nursing degree, you'll be able to access standard student loans in line with undergraduate funding for pre-registration courses. Features and benefits
- Approved course - This course is approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
- Accelerated course - An accelerated postgraduate pathway into professional nursing practice, you will gain the experience and skills required to practice as a registered nurse in two years, rather than three.
- Become a registered nurse - On successful completion, you are eligible to register as a mental health nurse with the NMC.
- Specialist nursing facilities - In addition to our clinical skills lab, we also have access to our simulation ‘apartment’ and immersive CAVE. Both are used to recreate real life challenges in mental health practice
- Real-world experience - On this course you will spend an equal amount of time on clinical placements and at University on nursing theory.
- Award-winning School of Nursing - We have consistently been shortlisted or won in the Student Nursing Times Awards since 2012.
- Equivalency tests - We offer equivalency tests in science and mathematics for the purpose of securing a place on our nursing courses.
- NHS Learning Support fund - This course is eligible for the NHS Learning Support Fund. Please follow this link to find out more.
Level 7 - 90% coursework, 10% examination, coursework and examination includes theoretical and practical learning in a variety of environments.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
A first degree (2:2 or above. A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including Mathematics, English Language and Science. Evidence of IT skills. We will accept GCSE Science, Biology, Additional Science and Applied Science, BTEC Level 2 Science (Pass) is an acceptable equivalent.
Additional entry requirements
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|