The foundation year will introduce you to study at university and your chosen subject. It also provides a highly supportive environment where you can develop your self-confidence. This course is perfect for those who want to get a wider view of physical education and sport and the science behind them. Whether you're considering becoming a PE teacher or want to follow a sports-related career such as a development officer, personal trainer or therapist, this diverse course will stretch your body and mind, helping you reach your full potential. You'll examine the context of physical education at all ages and study the sport science disciplines of physiology, psychology, biomechanics and sociology. You'll also have opportunities to work with or observe professionals and industry experts. The design and structure of the degree will enable you to take a flexible and broad approach to your future career. You'll be able to study modules that have a focus on a particular profession (e.g., teaching) or you can develop the knowledge and skills needed for a wider range of careers. Top reasons to study with us
- 94% of our Physical Education and Sport & Exercise Science students were in jobs or further study 15 months after finishing their course. Graduate Outcomes Survey 2022
- If you are talented at sport, you can apply for one of our sport scholarships. As a Sport Scholar, you would enjoy a financial bursary, University gym membership, personal training, mentoring, and sports science support.
- 100% of our Physical Education and Sport & Exercise Science students were satisfied overall with their course. National Student Survey 2022
- You can choose a work experience setting that interests you and you'll have the chance to use advanced sports labs in which you’ll be able to conduct performance-related experiments and put theory into practice.
- Our multi-million-pound Sports Centre has the latest fitness equipment and offers gym and recreational sport memberships, a full range of fitness classes, and a personal training service.
- Our joint specialist facility, Polo Farm Sports Club is just a short distance from the Canterbury Campus, the facilities include three floodlit hockey pitches, an indoor tennis centre, outdoor tennis courts and a spacious sports hall, specialising in netball, hockey and cricket.
For a list of core and likely optional modules, please visit our website.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
Please see our website for information
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Canterbury Christ Church University
North Holmes Road
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Course Enquiry Team