University of Northampton has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
In this course you will consider practical techniques involved in accounting and finance, and develop skills to critically analyse the theory behind these techniques. There is also the option to complete a year’s work placement to prepare you for your future career. The course will begin by considering the practical techniques involved in accounting and finance, you will then continue to develop skills to critically analyse the theory behind these techniques. You will also explore the interdisciplinary nature of business and the integration of accounting with broader subject areas such as economics, law and human resources. The course offers significant exemptions from the main professional body exams including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). Accountants and finance specialists have a central role in all types of organisations; public and private sector, within industry and commerce, both in the UK and abroad. The accountant has become a key player in the provision of management information to enable successful decision-making, planning and control. Accounting is more than just a computational skill and we intend to develop your ability to analyse and to evaluate real-life situations and effectively communicate your views and opinions. By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- In fact, we’re so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
Stage One • Financial Skills and Numeracy (Compulsory) • Financial Accounting (Compulsory) • Cost and Management Accounting (Compulsory) • Economic Environment (Compulsory) • Business and Company Law (Compulsory) • The Accountant in Business (Compulsory) • Stage Two • Financial Management (Compulsory) • Financial Reporting (Compulsory) • Management Accounting (Compulsory) • Financial Environment (Designated) • Project Management: Planning and Control (Designated) • Taxation Theory and Practice (Designated) • Accounting Software and Models (Designated) • Enterprise Operations (Designated) • Optional Placement Year • The Placement Year Experience: Organisations in Context (Compulsory) • Stage Three • Accounting and Finance Dissertation (Designated) • Accounting Project (Designated) • Advanced Accounting Theory and Practice (Compulsory) • Corporate Finance (Compulsory) • Management Accounting - Decision Making (Compulsory) • Taxation (Designated) • Audit and Investigations (Designated) • Project Management: Managerial Perspectives (Designated) • Strategic Financial Management (Designated) • Module information is quoted for 19/20 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
A wide variety of assessment strategies are used, including examinations, simulations, spreadsheet activities, presentations and group activities.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Accounting Technicians, Association of
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Certified Accountants, Chartered Association of
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||120 points|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||M: 45 credits|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DD||Accepted at DM with an BTEC Subsidiary Diploma or Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma at Merit, or with an A-level at C.|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme||25 points|
|Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)||H3, H3, H3, H3|
|Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal||M2, M3, M3|
GCSE Mathematics at grade 4 (or C), or Key Skills application of number at level 2, or equivalent qualifications required.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Northampton
The University of Northampton
Clearing contact details
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0300 303 2772