In this course you will consider practical techniques involved in accounting and finance, and develop skills to critically analyse the theory behind these techniques. There is also the option to complete a year’s work placement to prepare you for your future career. The course will begin by considering the practical techniques involved in accounting and finance, you will then continue to develop skills to critically analyse the theory behind these techniques. You will also explore the interdisciplinary nature of business and the integration of accounting with broader subject areas such as economics, law and human resources. The course offers significant exemptions from the main professional body exams including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). Accountants and finance specialists have a central role in all types of organisations; public and private sector, within industry and commerce, both in the UK and abroad. The accountant has become a key player in the provision of management information to enable successful decision-making, planning and control. Accounting is more than just a computational skill and we intend to develop your ability to analyse and to evaluate real-life situations and effectively communicate your views and opinions. By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- In fact, we’re so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
Stage One • Financial Skills and Numeracy (Compulsory) • Financial Accounting (Compulsory) • Cost and Management Accounting (Compulsory) • Economic Environment (Compulsory) • Business and Company Law (Compulsory) • The Accountant in Business (Compulsory) Stage Two • Financial Management (Compulsory) • Financial Reporting (Compulsory) • Management Accounting (Compulsory) • Financial Environment (Designate) • Project Management: Planning and Control (Designate) • Taxation Theory and Practice (Designate) • Accounting Software and Models (Designate) • Enterprise Operations (Designate) Optional Placement Year • The Placement Year Experience: Organisations in Context (Compulsory) • Stage Three • Accounting and Finance Dissertation (Designate) • Accounting Project (Designate) • Advanced Accounting Theory and Practice (Compulsory) • Corporate Finance (Compulsory) • Management Accounting - Decision Making (Compulsory) • Taxation (Designate) • Audit and Investigations (Designate) • Project Management: Managerial Perspectives (Designate) • Strategic Financial Management (Designate). Module information is quoted for 20/21 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
A wide variety of assessment strategies are used, including examinations, simulations, spreadsheet activities, presentations and group activities.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Accounting Technicians, Association of
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Certified Accountants, Chartered Association of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
- Year 4
GCSE Mathematics at grade 4 (or C), or Key Skills application of number at level 2, or equivalent qualifications required.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|