The HND Applied Biosciences degree course explores life at all levels from chemicals, molecules and cells to organ systems. You will also explore human health and illness and how they are managed in the context of contemporary research, as well as how populations, communities and the environment influence health and illness. Course content and assessments have been designed to help you develop both theoretical knowledge and understanding, as well as the practical skills to enhance your career and academic opportunities. Each year, the course is reviewed to ensure it includes the major causes of illness and death globally, as researched by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as well as the major causes of sickness absence from the workplace, to give you a rounded understanding of the way disease affects human life. Key course benefits;
- Upon completion of this course, you will receive a qualification awarded by Coventry University, which is ranked 13th best university in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2019. Coventry University were also awarded a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in 2017.
- You will receive support with applying for short and long-term placements, to gain the experience employers desire, with our in-house Careers & Employability department.
- You will have the opportunity for multi-campus learning in Coventry, London and Scarborough.
- In order to make higher education accessible to as many people as possible, we keep our tuition fees competitively priced.
- Small tutorial group sessions ensure that you receive the mentoring help and support you need.
- We deliver one module at a time during each block. This means you can dedicate your time to specialise in each subject without the distraction of numerous modules and multiple deadlines.
- This course is packed with skills employers seek, such as innovation and laboratory competency.
Independent and Autonomous Working: The ability to critically appraise a scenario with a view to apply new technologies to improve efficiency or effectiveness. Cell and Molecular Biology: You will study eukaryotic and prokaryotic cell structure whilst beginning to explore bacterial diversity and emerging antibiotic strains. You will apply this knowledge to a number of emerging applications of molecular techniques within the area of gene technology. Health and Disease Issues: You will be introduced to basic pharmacological principles and drugs used to treat a range of diseases and gain a developed understanding and critical analysis of the complex pathophysiology and aetiological causes of a variety of tropical diseases, whilst observing the clinical signs and symptoms used to diagnose these disorders. The Fundamentals of Biological and Chemical Sciences: Including biology, chemistry and physiology. You will develop your core understanding within the sciences, with a focus on the application of fundamental scientific principles within analytical industries. You will also develop a critical appreciation of biological and chemical sciences to enable them to develop practical skills in a range of scenarios. Project Management: You will gain an applied knowledge of small-scale investigations, integrating some principles of project management and the associated processes. Research Methods: Critical analysis, reflection, information searching and experimental design in the biological sciences. Data collection, analysis and presentation. For more information about what you will study, please visit our website.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- CU Coventry
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University Group.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course