If you are creative and like architecture, design, drawing, IT and problem solving, then a career in architectural technology may be right for you. Architectural technologists are involved in developing some of the world’s most iconic structures. As an expert in the science and technology of architecture, you should be able to bring buildability, durability, sustainability and performance to enhance your designs, then oversee the work to make them become reality. During this course, you will cover the study of architectural design, construction technology and a range of multidisciplinary integrated projects which aims to to help prepare you for your future which could be in building design and construction. We provide opportunities for you to be inspired by historic and contemporary architectural projects on field trips here in the UK and abroad. Recent students have undertaken fully funded trips to London and Rome, as well as subsidised visits to Cardiff and Barcelona. UK and abroad field trips may be subject to availability, appropriate visa requiements and additional fees. Our facilities include the Coventry University Simulation Centre, which is one of the most advanced interactive people training and development centre’s in the UK, as well as studios and laboratories equipped with the latest versions of 2D, 3D and CAD visualisation software, building information management (BIM) software and building performance analysis programs. We enjoy excellent links with the industry including Chartered Institute of Architectural Technology, TRADA and the BRE, many of whom provide direct input into course development as members of our Building Advisory Board. You could also gain involvement with the construction community through networking and placement opportunities, which may enhance your employment prospects on graduation. You will be taught by staff with academic and professional experience in architectural practice, civil engineering and the construction industry. We also have a strong portfolio of industry-related research, particularly in the areas of low carbon building technology, sustainable construction materials and engineering education, to ensure you stay abreast of new technologies and emerging issues. The course sits together with other built environmental disciplines such as building surveying, construction managers, quantity surveyors, building services engineers and civil engineers. This represents the multi-disciplinary nature of the construction industry and provides students on the course with some context in relation to their role and to other professions that they will interact within throughout their professional careers. Key Course Benefits
- Ranked 5th in the UK for 'Architecture’ by the Guardian University Guide 2020.
- In the most recent 2019 National Student Survey (NSS), 100% said that staff are good at explaining things and that the course was intellectually stimulating.
- Collaborative links with universities in 20 countries around the world, including Spain, USA, Denmark, Italy and France, giving you the chance for you to spend part of your studies abroad
- Studios and laboratories equipped with the latest versions of CAD software including 2D, 3D and visualisation software, building information management software and building performance analysis programs.
- The opportunity to take part in events where you could meet members of the local design and building community, and attend professional development meetings held by the professional institutions on campus.
- Primarily common first year makes it possible to transfer to construction management, building surveying, quantity surveying or commercial management in the second year if you wish, after successful completion of first year.
- Architectural technology: We aim to develop your understanding and practice of the role of the architectural technologist within the building design process. There are opportunities to analyse, evaluate and articulate essential components of the design process in construction from feasibility through to detail design, focusing on detailing and specification techniques and the skills necessary to express design ideas in a variety of formats and media.
- Construction technology: You should develop an understanding of various aspects of the design and construction of sustainable and comfortable buildings, by incorporating the most appropriate construction technology and building materials. We will consider the design, construction and environmental performances of low-rise buildings, multi-storey and commercial framed structures, within the context of legislative influences on the layout and planning of buildings and the impact of energy conservation and climate change. We will also explore the range of building services which are installed to provide a suitable internal environment including acoustic, thermal, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Design studies: Aims to develop skills in creating, refining and presenting construction documents in various drawn formats, embedding the arithmetic associated with scale and printed output of construction drawings. Through practical, activity-led studio and location based tutorial sessions, you should develop measuring and sketching skills and use this recorded information as a basis for creating a series of construction documents, using a variety of industry standard 2D and 3D software packages. The produced construction documents will aim to follow the industry standard drawing conventions on scale and notation and will form the basis for 3D model making.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Architectural Technologists, Chartered Institute of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
Additional entry requirements
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions
Thursday 13th and Friday 14th August - 07:00 - 19:00 Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th August - 10:00 - 16:00 Monday 19th August onwards - 8:30 - 17:00
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152