The importance and appeal of sport and exercise is universal. From improving public physical and mental health and wellbeing, to working with professional athletes, there are many specialisms and career opportunities out there. And when it comes to jumping higher, swimming faster, burning more calories or living longer, understanding the science of sport and exercise matters. This course gives you the scientific grounding you need for an advanced-level understanding of the impact of sport and exercise. As part of the Manchester Metropolitan University Institute of Sport, you’ll have opportunities to draw on the expertise of our academics and sport professionals from many disciplines. And you’ll benefit from being part of a large, and diverse sporting community actively learning and researching specialist areas. Based in Manchester, you’re in the heart of a city that is a major hub for sport, home to many leading sports clubs and national sporting bodies – many of which we hold strong, long-standing partnerships with. In addition to core units, you'll have the opportunity to study two option units dedicated to the main sciences within sport and exercise - psychology, physiology and biomechanics. Whatever you choose, you’ll be gaining strong skills in all aspects of carrying out and evaluating scientific research. You’ll advance your knowledge on a wide range of topics, for example, the role of our metabolism, of the cardiovascular system, biomechanics and the impact of trauma. And you’ll be taught by experts and have access to specialist clinical equipment and advanced sport and exercise facilities. If you’re seeking further professional experience, we’ve got that covered with a work placement unit. You might shadow a senior researcher or a clinician in a hospital or work with a coach at a professional sports club. Whatever your ambition within sport and exercise science, this course gives you strong transferable skills to help you take the next step. Features and Benefits:
- Learn alongside world-leading research - We are 6th in the UK for the power of our research in Sport and Exercise Science. Plus, 95% of our research outputs in Sport and Exercise Science are rated world-leading or internationally excellent. (REF 2021).
- Focus on what interests you - choose an area of specialism and get deeper into physiology, biomechanics or psychology.
- Study in world-class sporting facilities - we’ve invested heavily in The Manchester Metropolitan University Institute of Sport building - our Manchester-based hub for all-things sport. Our teaching spaces house specialist facilities for sport students, athlete scholars and researchers, including a 3D motion analysis laboratory, environmental chamber, and 3 Tesla MRI scanner for advanced imaging.
- Learn from experts - be taught by highly experienced sport and exercise scientists who can give you the knowledge and skills you need to succeed.
- Strong on diversity - become confident on issues around inclusion, equality and diversity in sport, all major areas of focus and priority in organisations today.
- Be at the centre of sport - you'll be part of the Manchester Graduate School of Sport, the UK’s only graduate school of sport, home to a large and diverse sporting community that gives you the springboard you need to launch your career.
- Cutting-edge research facilities - In the 2021 Research Excellence Framework, 100% of our research environment in sport and exercise science is rated world-leading or internationally excellent (REF 2021). Our researchers are addressing some of the biggest challenges in the sporting world today from genetics in elite performance, injury prevention and healthy ageing.
- Research ready - advance your scientific knowledge, boost your confidence and excel your skills through the opportunity to design, conduct and communicate a significant piece of research.
Please see our website for information on entry requirements.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course