Birmingham City University has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
We have been ranked Top 20 in the UK for career prospects in Mechanical Engineering, with 92% of graduates in graduate-level jobs or further study after 15 months. Our Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons) degree with a foundation year, will develop you as a skilled engineer capable of undertaking mechanical engineering tasks within and across organisations. It will also equip you with a range of advanced analytical and design skills. You'll work on industry-standard analytical tools as well as explore other facilities such as our test cell and exhaust analysis equipment. The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BEng (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four) in your studies. The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of the degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all modules of the Foundation Certificate. What's covered in the course? Our Mechanical Engineering course focuses on the importance of sustainable futures and the Government's STEM agenda, in order to give you the knowledge and attributes you will need to thrive in this ever-changing industry. You’ll focus on project-based activities, giving you lots of opportunity to work in teams on projects from design to implementation. This will give you practical experience of applying engineering science to real world problems, working in multidisciplinary teams to develop your interpersonal skills, and prepare you for a key aspect of modern engineering practice. Problem solving and project management are key skills for an engineer, and our focus on application of skills will help to improve your skills in these highly sought after areas. During your studies, you will use the latest tools and technologies, developing new skills at an advanced level. The course will encourage your creative thinking and develop your engineering leadership skills. Building on a foundation of the generic skills required by tomorrow’s engineers, you will also explore the wider context of engineering, as well as the application of advanced engineering principles to solve problems through research and development. You’ll engage in independent study and systematic enquiry at an advanced level and take responsibility for the conclusions drawn from it. You will have lots of opportunity to apply industry-standard modelling and simulation techniques to the analysis, specification and design of mechanical engineering systems so that you are able to apply your knowledge and theory to a practical situation. In this way, we make sure you are ready to step straight into employment. Why Choose Us?
- Accredited course - This course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- Formula Student events at Silverstone - We are one of the select UK universities with access to take part in our international Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Formula Student event at Silverstone.
- State-of-the-art facilities - You will be based at our Millennium Point campus in City Centre, where our facilities have undergone a £6.5 million investment with a new maker area, engineering labs/equipment and IT equipment to provide you with the very best learning experience. You will also use our industry-standard equipment and resources, including rapid prototyping, laser-cutting and CNC machining.
- Employable graduates - Our graduates have progressed into roles with leading companies such as Jaguar Land Rover, Morgan Motors, GKN, Bentley, Mercedes, Rolls-Royce and JCB.
- Events and Expos - We host events including Global Game Jam, TechFest, and InnovationFest enabling you to build and design your own creations, as well as gain vital organisational experience.
Mathematics for Engineering, Mechanical Science, Electrical Science and Information and Communication Studies.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Millennium Point Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no less than 5.5 in any level|
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|