University College Birmingham has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Course snapshot In today's increasingly competitive business environment, demand is flourishing for businesses to be enterprising and entrepreneurial. Developed with the support of industry experts, UCB's Business Enterprise Top-up course will help you establish yourself in this dynamic sector by further developing your understanding of the contemporary global business environment, as well as giving you the chance to develop your own business plan. Our course is dual accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), a recognised professional management body, and the University of Birmingham, one of the world's leading academic institutions. Who’s the course for? If you have previously studied a relevant subject and you are thinking of beginning your career in the business sector or setting up your own business, this course will be ideal for you. Why should I study the course?
- Our course has been developed in close partnership with industry experts to provide you with the essential knowledge and skills you need to advance in management positions throughout the enterprising sector or launch your own business.
- Aided by UCB's strong links with industry, you will have the opportunity to put theory into practice and gain vital experience of the business environment by undertaking live projects for local industry partners.
- By completing our CMI-accredited course, you will receive a professional Level 5 Award in Leadership and Management from the CMI as well as gaining membership to the CMI for the duration of your course at UCB. 90% of education partners say that CMI has a high impact on student employability, with 10% more graduates from CMI-accredited courses entering professional roles than those from non CMI-accredited business courses.
- An important part of our course is allowing you to develop your own business plan as an option for your research project, with our industry partners contributing to your business development process.
- Business enterprise
- Sales and marketing
- Business development
- Small business consultation
- Product development
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship
- Leadership and Change Management
- Financial Strategy
- Brand Management
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- Advertising and Media Management
- International Marketing
- Digital and Social Media Marketing
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Research Project
- Teaching - Full-time route
- Large group teaching - 5 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching - 7 hours of teaching in smaller groups discussing topics relevant to the modules. This will also include computer-based activities
- Tutorials - 2 hours of tutorials (involving personal, group and academic sessions each week)
- Teaching - Part-time route
- Smaller group teaching - students are timetabled for a 5 hour session per week
- Tutorials - 1 hour is timetabled per week consisting of a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials
- Coursework - 70%
- Practical assessment - 22%
- Written examinations - 8%
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Chartered Management Institute
How to apply
To apply for this course you will be taken to the provider's website, where you can find out more information and make an application.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 3
Entry requirements for advanced entry (i.e. into Year 2 and beyond)
- **Transferring from another university** At University College Birmingham, we consider applications from students who have studied, or are currently studying, a Higher Education course and now wish to transfer universities. - **What do I need to do?** To make an enquiry about studying at University College Birmingham, you will need to complete our online enquiry form -> **https://portal.ucb.ac.uk/#/admissions/ucb-direct-apply** Consideration for advanced entry will be dependent on the modules of your previous course, and how well this matches to the content of the course you wish to transfer to at University College Birmingham. Additionally, the process will be dependent on the number of credits achieved on your current course. Where similar study is apparent, it may be possible for us to award Accreditation for Previous Learning (APL) and, therefore, advanced entry onto a course at UCB will be permitted. Please note; due to the nature of this process, all applications are considered on an individual basis.
All non-EU international students can apply directly via our online application forms: https://portal.ucb.ac.uk/#/admissions/direct-application/intro Undergraduate applicants can also apply via UCAS, if they wish to apply to more than one university. The International Admissions team aim to respond to any new application made directly via the online application form within 5 working days of receipt. However, this can vary during peak application periods (particularly January-March) or if the team require additional information to process your application. Applicants who apply to transfer to University College Birmingham on to a second year or final year of a course will have their previous course matched for entry. Each application is considered individually and careful consideration is given to all information on your application form. We may also need to contact you regarding your immigration status or previous studies in the UK.
|UCAS Tariff||Not accepted|
|A level||Not accepted|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||Not accepted|
|Access to HE Diploma||Not accepted|
|Scottish Higher||Not accepted|
|HND (BTEC)||P||A relevant HND or a foundation degree in the areas of Marketing Management, Business Management, Finance and Business, with 240 credits.|
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: [email protected] EU/international students Academic: European and International qualifications studied in a relevant subject matter will also be considered applicants will need to have achieved 120 ECTS or equivalent (European Credit Transfer) If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email EU: [email protected] International: [email protected]
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
To apply for all undergraduate degrees, if your first language is not English, you will need to sit an approved test in English.
UCB English Language Requirements
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University College Birmingham
Clearing contact detailsApply Direct to UCB
0121 604 1040
Haven’t secured a place at university? Don’t panic! You can apply for a place at UCB through the clearing process, which opens every year in July. Not familiar with the clearing process? Here, you will find everything you need to know to get the ball rolling and secure your place at UCB. Our team of dedicated clearing advisors have your very best interests at heart and will guide you through every aspect of your application. Simply call us on 0121 604 1040 and we’ll get you started on your journey.
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UCB Direct - Admissions
0121 604 1040