This Master’s degree is both an academic qualification and a professional qualification. As it is approved by Social Work England you’ll be eligible to apply for registration as a social worker on successful completion of the course. Why study MA Social Work at BU?
- This course is ranked 1st in its subject area according to the 2021 Guardian League tables
- This practical degree blends a powerful combination of academic study with essential practical experience
- Statutory placements throughout the course mean you will gain lots of relevant experience operating in real-world settings and will develop strong working relationships with those already in the profession
- Thanks to our close ties with neighbouring local authority social services departments and local voluntary sector agencies you can network with employers and potential future colleagues
- You’ll leave us equipped with the specialist knowledge and practical skills needed to deal with issues in areas including child protection, fostering and adoption, adult safeguarding, mental health, substance use, hospital discharge and disability
- Newly built skills facilities include various simulated community home settings, allowing you to learn and practice before going on placement.
Year 1 core units : Models, Methods & Approaches for Social Work Intervention, Use of Self & Other - Theory & Practice, Law, Social Policy, Values & Ethics, Psychosocial perspectives of the life course, Personal & Professional Development for Social Work Students, Family Intervention, Mental Health & Substance Use, First Substantive Placement - Part A & B. Year 2 core units: Working with Risk & Complexity, Final Substantive Placement - Part A & B, Dissertation
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Health and Care Professions Council
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
AccessBU: AccessBU provides you with the opportunity to tell us about your circumstances that are not always evident in your UCAS application. This widening access initiative also considers relevant criteria such as being in care or if you live in an area with a low participation rate in Higher Education - if you are eligible, your offer could be up to 16 UCAS tariff points below the published tariff. Apprenticeships: We recognise the transferable knowledge and skills gained through apprenticeships and welcome applications from students with a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship recognised by the Institute for Apprenticeships. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Deferred entry: We are happy to consider eligible applicants for deferred entry. If you have already submitted your application, please submit your deferral request through our website. Direct entry: We welcome applications from students who have previously studied at degree level at other institutions and wish to transfer onto a BU course. Our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) procedure enables credit awarded from one institution to contribute to a BU award, subject to an application process. Please visit our RPL webpage for more information. Mature applicants: We recognise that mature applicants may have a wealth of experience rather than formal qualifications, so we’ll consider your application on these merits if included in your application. You’ll need to apply to BU in the usual way through UCAS and you may be invited to an interview to discuss your suitability for the course based on the experience you tell us about in your application.
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information