Coventry University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
As such, we aim to provide a thorough understanding of the aviation industry – the rationales of airport operation management, airport planning and design, airline yield management, airline fleet planning, route management and scheduling, passenger and cargo operations, air transport safety, security and emergency planning, aircraft maintenance, airline strategy, finance and economics, sustainable development of air transport, as well as the real-life strategies for airlines and airport operators at corporate and business levels. A significant amount of project work at each level is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills to solve real-world problems in the aviation industry. We also offer extensive placement opportunities and graduate schemes within industry, which have in the past included British Airways, Lufthansa, Cathay Paciﬁc Airways, Eastern Airways, Easy Jet, CityJet, Airbus, London Heathrow Airport, Birmingham Airport Ltd, Coventry Airport/Patriot Aviation, Servisair, Skyguide, Star Alliance, Eurocopter, TAROM, TUI Travel, UBM Aviation Routes and many others (subject to application and availability). Career opportunities can be diverse and plenty; our graduates have gone on to work for airport operators, business jet operators, tour operators, aircraft manufacturers, air navigation service providers, airport maintenance providers, aircraft engine, ground handling companies and manufacturers and service providers. You will be taught by academic staff who have decades of relevant aviation industry experience, both here in the UK and overseas, in airport, airline and tour operator management, commercial flying, fire and rescue and more. Their research expertise ranges from airline strategy to global issues and human factors in aviation. Recent research has included comprehensive research into low-cost subsidiaries of full-service airlines and whether these are a good idea to compete more effectively. Key Course Benefits
- Subscription to the industry-standard online news and database service Flightglobal/pro and Routesonline, providing you with news updates from the aviation sector as it happens.
- Student-run Society for Aviation Management (SAM), which organises a range of social and professional activities, including a recent simulated airport disaster event at Coventry Airport.
- Fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT), offering full exemption from the educational requirements for Chartered Membership on successful completion and the opportunity to enrol as a student affiliate during study.
- Study in our state-of-the-art Engineering and Computing building, with access to significant industry simulation software and aviation data sources, Including Airline Business, AirlineOnline, Air Transport World, Arena, Simulate, capstats.com, flightglobal.pro, Apex and airportcharges.com.
- Hear from guest speakers from airlines, tour operators, suppliers and air transport consultancies, which have previously included AAIB, ACL Airport Co-ordination Ltd, Air Transport News, Aviation Security International, NSAI, East Midlands Airport, Birmingham Airport Ltd, Seabury, SSA and York Aviation.
- Regular programme of hosted site visits at major and regional airlines and airports within the UK and overseas, previously to the Airbus A380 Wing Assembly Plant at Broughton, British Airways OCIC and EPIC Operational Centres at Waterside Heathrow, Birmingham Airport, Bristol Airport, Coventry Airport and London Heathrow Airport Terminals 3 and 5 (availability and additional costs may apply).
Our main study themse are:
- Airport Operations and Air Transportation: The fundamentals of air transportation, including the functions of an airport and its main operations carried out to support the airport system. The physical and human requirements of an airport will be explored and the management issues identified.
- Airline Strategy, Finance and Economics: Covers the strategic, financial, and economic aspects which underpin airlines. We will look at their strategies and how they achieve objectives, as well as the demand for airlines together with their costs, revenues, pricing, key industry trends, problems, and developments.
- Aviation Safety, Security and Emergency Planning: Current approaches and applicable regulations to aviation safety and security, encompassing Safety Management Systems (SMS), human factors and the use of technology applicable to aircraft, airports, flights and airline operations. We also consider essential procedures for coping with air and ground emergencies, which will include an Emergency Response Planning workshop.
- Transport and Logistics Management: You will have the opportunity to learn the objectives of efficient transportation and supply chain management (SCM), including achieving high productivity, high quality and seamless transfer of information, products and services between each stage of the supply chain and ultimately to the satisfaction of the customer.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Logistics and Transport, Chartered Institute of
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|A level||ABB - BBB||Excludes General Studies.|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDD - DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||The Access to HE Diploma to include 30 Level 3 credits at Merit. Plus GCSE English and Mathematics at grade 4 / C or above.|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme||31 points|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||5 GCSEs at grade 4 / C or above to include English and Mathematics.|
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions
Thursday 15th and Friday 16th August - 07:00 - 19:00 Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th August - 10:00 - 16:00 Monday 19th August onwards - 8:30 - 17:00
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152