Aviation Management has been an established subject within Coventry University for over ten years. The current core teaching team consists of an internationally diverse and experienced team of industry practitioners and academics who seek to reflect the global context of the industry. The course is aimed at students who are driven by the desire to work as managers within the aviation industry to support the current and anticipated ongoing global growth in demand for air transportation. It is hoped that many of these graduates will proceed to positions of influence and leadership. Historically, the aviation industry has been resistant to specialist managers. However, growth and an inability to recruit appropriately qualified and experienced people means the industry is starting to look to specific aviation management degrees such as this in order to fill this gap. This course has successfully placed significant numbers of students in industry and the final destinations of graduates reflects an industry wide portfolio of airlines, airports, service providers, consultancies and regulatory bodies. Having achieved its tenth anniversary in 2018, early graduates of this course are starting to achieve senior positions with considerable influence. These alumni, along with insights from our wider industry advisory board and market research, have identified current and emerging skills and capabilities that have influenced the shape and direction of this current programme. This course seeks to provide a range of learning experiences and opportunities to form capable graduates within the field of aviation management; grounded in specialist business and management theory and practice, combined with fundamental knowledge of aeronautical engineering and transportation systems design, informatics and operational research methods. The course has been designed to prepare graduates for current industry requirements, whilst acknowledging its dynamic nature. The course starts with aiming to develop your understanding of the diverse theoretical foundations that underpin the industry, as well as the concept of the industry as an ecosystem. You will be introduced to the complex nature of the interdependencies of the myriad of stakeholders. Key Course Benefits
- Subscription to the industry-standard online news and database service Flightglobal/pro and Routesonline, providing you with news updates from the aviation sector as it happens.
- Student-run Society for Aviation Management (SAM), which organises a range of social and professional activities, including a recent simulated airport disaster event at Coventry Airport.
- Fully accredited by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT), offering full exemption from the educational requirements for Chartered Membership on successful completion and the opportunity to enrol as a student affiliate during study.
- Study in our state-of-the-art Engineering and Computing building, with access to significant industry simulation software and aviation data sources, Including Airline Business, AirlineOnline, Air Transport World, Arena, Simulate, capstats.com, flightglobal.pro, Apex and airportcharges.com.
- Hear from guest speakers from airlines, tour operators, suppliers and air transport consultancies, which have previously included AAIB, ACL Airport Co-ordination Ltd, Air Transport News, Aviation Security International, NSAI, East Midlands Airport, Birmingham Airport Ltd, Seabury, SSA and York Aviation.
- Regular programme of hosted site visits at major and regional airlines and airports within the UK and overseas, previously to the Airbus A380 Wing Assembly Plant at Broughton, British Airways OCIC and EPIC Operational Centres at Waterside Heathrow, Birmingham Airport, Bristol Airport, Coventry Airport and London Heathrow Airport Terminals 3 and 5 (availability and additional costs may apply).
Our main study themse are:
- Airport Operations and Air Transportation: The fundamentals of air transportation, including the functions of an airport and its main operations carried out to support the airport system. The physical and human requirements of an airport will be explored and the management issues identified.
- Airline Strategy, Finance and Economics: Covers the strategic, financial, and economic aspects which underpin airlines. We will look at their strategies and how they achieve objectives, as well as the demand for airlines together with their costs, revenues, pricing, key industry trends, problems, and developments.
- Aviation Safety, Security and Emergency Planning: Current approaches and applicable regulations to aviation safety and security, encompassing Safety Management Systems (SMS), human factors and the use of technology applicable to aircraft, airports, flights and airline operations. We also consider essential procedures for coping with air and ground emergencies, which will include an Emergency Response Planning workshop.
- Transport and Logistics Management: You will have the opportunity to learn the objectives of efficient transportation and supply chain management (SCM), including achieving high productivity, high quality and seamless transfer of information, products and services between each stage of the supply chain and ultimately to the satisfaction of the customer.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Logistics and Transport, Chartered Institute of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|